Formation of various Student Clubs is an initiative of UPES aimed towards combining academic learning with non-academic activities and engagements. The university understands the need of students to engage into activities beyond academics.
The purpose of these clubs is to encourage participation, ownership, develop leadership abilities and seek to ensure that students get interactive opportunities to express and build on their interests for all-round personality development.
Some of the clubs that bring out the creative side of the students and induce them to express themselves are:
- UPES International Model United Nations Conference, a club registered under aegis of Directorate of Student Affairs, UPES.The University had taken an initiative to introduce this concept, by organizing the first ever college level Model United Nations held in Uttarakhand State in February 2012. The event is in collaboration with UNITED NATIONS INFORMATION CENTRE FOR INDIA AND BHUTAN (UNIC). UPES International Model United Nations conference is an academic simulation of the United Nations. It is one of a kind event, aimed at providing a platform for youth to analyze global issues and reach conclusions in the form of resolutions for the betterment of the society. Our conference is designed to stimulate negotiation and public speaking skills, acquaint students to a series of global issues, and provide culturally diverse perspectives on a variety of issues. We aim that the delegates leave our conference with a new-found passion for international relations and greater awareness of the issues that dominate our World. Team IMUN is geared up to enroll new members in the prestigious IMUN Club, as also for the 5th annual Conference scheduled on 6th and 7th Feb 2016.
- The SAE Collegiate Club - undergraduate and post-graduate students of Mechanical Engineering, including Automotive and Aerospace sectors.
- The team Sky Hawks from SAE Collegiate Club represented UPES in SAE Aero Design West, held in California, USA.
- The Logistikas Club - for and by MBA Logistics & Supply Chain Management students
- The Adventure Club - enabling students to take more initiatives and pioneer research and development in the economic sphere.
- SPACE CLUB of Aerospace Department
UPES SPE Student Chapter at UPES aims at bridging the gap between academic education and the petroleum industry, providing a thriving social and professional network for SPE student members at the University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Dehradun. This Chapter has received many accolades for various achievements.
In addition, as UPES aims to create complete, well-rounded professionals, it also provides key inputs on Personality development and Soft skills. For this, UPES has framed Personality Development Program (PDP) for all its undergraduate and postgraduate students. Each student, who joins UPES, is given an extensive grooming training capsule in two phases: Firstly, PEP is organized for the students at the time of joining the university and secondly, PSI, at the time of passing out the university.
PEP stands for Personality Enhancement Programs, and attempts to raise the level of self-assurance, attitude and overall personality of each student, It is conducted for all new joining students for a period of six to ten days, comprising of interactive sessions and the outdoor activities.
The subjects covered during the interactive sessions include:
- Written Communication
- Non-verbal Communication
- Public Speaking
- Social Graces and Etiquette
- Time Management
- Anger Management
- Communication Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Group Discussion
- Personal Interview Skills
- Confidence Building
- Emotional Intelligence
- Stress Management
- Goal Setting
- Team Spirit
Each student is profiled on daily basis during the program and is given a Profiling Report on his/her overall performance during the program.
PSI stands for Placement Selection Improvement program. It is conducted for all the undergraduate and postgraduate students, for a period of seven days which includes five days for interactive sessions and two days for Mock Interviews. During the interactive sessions, all the topics related to placement and selection of students, are covered so as to prepare him/her industry-ready.
The topics covered in PSI are:
- CV Writing
- Leadership Skills
- Group Discussions
- Corporate Etiquette
- Team Dynamics
- Presentation Skills
- General Knowledge & Current Affairs
The panel of Mock Interview comprises of three people: Domain professional from industry, HR working professional and a faculty/HOD of respective domain. An assessment report is written on each student which creates a pen picture of his/her personality. The assessment report is not only to mirror his weaknesses and strengths but also to guide/counsel him/her to become the best. UPES is one of the few institutions in the country to run such program. The sessions are conducted by an accomplished team of experts comprising senior retired armed forces personnel, industry experts, and psychology and sociology professionals.