Duration of Program
UPES provides unique and focused Integrated M.Sc-PhD course aiming to deliver expertise in theoretical and experimental understanding of Physics and its allied disciplines. The program is designed such that after completing it, students would be able to excel in academia, industries, and research. The faculty members in the department have diverse research expertise including but not limited to materials science, nanotechnology, renewable energy, computational materials science, high energy physics, nuclear physics, plasmonics, spintronics, etc., which would provide students flexibility in opting for their PhD topic. The curriculum is designed to give exposure not only about the subject but also research ethics, communication and skill augmentation. The completion of the course ensures deep knowledge with wide exposure, intellectual development, and ethical awareness that make students ready for various professional research, industrial and academic opportunities.
The foundation of higher learning at UPES since its inception has been to explore and promote areas of learning that are innovative and future focused. This has led to constant evolution in facilitating creative and collaborative learning engagements for students through realignment of curriculum and exploration of virtual tools, and open-source courseware; thereby creating borderless learning and access to limitless information.
The new curriculum framework at UPES, ABLE (Academic Blueprint for Learning Excellence) is holistic in its overall structure and yet focuses on the individual need of the student to discover, experience, explore and challenge. The learning is segmented into core subject studies, core specialism studies, minors/exploratory subjects, and signature and life skills learning. The latter three are offered by the newly-instituted School for Life.
SFL (School for Life) is an intrinsic part of the composite UPES student experience and facilitates learning and education that is a balance between what students want, and what is needed of them as future global citizens and leaders of tomorrow. With courses designed to equip students with lifelong learning skills, a focus on a wide range of contemporary issues, and a mandatory social and professional internship experience that is unique, UPES believes in igniting to inspire the best version within an individual to better the world.
- Students will have significant opportunities in various service domains at national and international level, and can work as scientist, analyst, quality controller in academic and research organizations.
- Students will have leadership quality to handle all kinds of circumstances in diversities by providing interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary learning environment.
- Students will be continuous learner to learn and adopt new skills and techniques to overcome the problem related with new technologies.
- Students will be able to formulate, investigate and analyze scientifically real life problems along with ethical attitude, which works in multidisciplinary team.
- Scientific Knowledge: Explain the theoretical, conceptual, computational and experimental knowledge of science & mathematics to the solution of scientific problems.
- Problem Analysis and Solution: Formulate and analyze scientific approach for solving real-life problems that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the broader understanding of subject.
- Data Analysis and Interpretation: Demonstrate, analyze & interpret the scientific data to provide the appropriate solution of the problem.
- Research: Investigate experimental, computational or theoretical research problems from science & mathematics domains independently.
- Modern Tool Usage: Select and apply appropriate techniques/tools effectively including graphical techniques, IT tools, reports and presentations within the scientific environment.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the scientific solutions in societal and environmental contexts, demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Teamwork and Ethics: Function effectively as an individual and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings by applying the ethical principles.
- Communication: Demonstrate professional attitude with effective communication that support and enhance individual/team performance.
- Scientific Project Handling: Demonstrate knowledge of science & mathematics and its various principles and apply them to handle projects in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long Learning: Recognize the need to engage in lifelong learning through continuing education and research.
- Understand advanced level physics particularly classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, nuclear and high energy physics, solid state physics, materials science and electronics.
- Develop as a researcher with an ability to present scientific results and thoughts before an educated audience by using the fundamental principles, hypotheses and laws of Physics.
- Train the students over a wide range of analytical and/or experimental and/or computational techniques in physics and other scientific and technological domains.
- Faculty members in Universities/Degree Colleges/Research Institutes
- Scientist in National Labs like DAE, CSIR, DRDO, ISRO and similar labs in Foreign institutions
- Quantitative/Financial Analyst in Financial institutions
- Post-doctoral researchers
- Fill Application Form
- Screening of Application
- Short listed student gets an invite for Personal Interview