Dr. Sarathlal K Vayalil
Assistant Professor Selection Grade
Ph.D (Physics) - UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore, 2014.
M.Sc (Physics) - Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kerala, 2007.
B.Sc (Physics)- Calicut University, Kerala, 2005.
- Assistant Professor SG- Department of Physics, UPES, Dehradun, Jan 2021 Onwards
- INSPIRE Faculty at Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (Feb 2016-Jan 2021).
- Post-Doctoral Beamline Scientist at Photon Science Div., Deutsches Electron Synchrotron (DESY), Hamburg, Germany (Nov 2012- Jan 2016).
No. Papers published in journals: 18
No. Papers presented in conferences: 29
No. Citations: 385
- Interest- Magnetic thin films and Multilayers for Spintronic applications, Nanopatterns formation using Low energy ion beams, Three Dimensional Magnetic Nanostructures, Depth resolved Structural, Chemical, Electronic and Magnetic studies in thin films and multilayers, Synchrotron based Grazing Incidence Small Angle X ray Scattering (GISAXS) and X-ray Resonant Magnetic Scattering (XRMR) , Magneto optical Kerr effect ( MOKE) etc.
Journal Publications (SCOPUS/ SCI Index):
- Ankan Mukhopadhyay, Sarathlal Koyiloth Vayalil, Dominik Graulich, Imran Ahamed, Sonia Francoual, Arti Kashyap, Timo Kuschel and P S Anil Kumar, "Asymmetric modification of the magnetic proximity effect in Pt/Co/Pt trilayers by the insertion of a Ta buffer layer” Phys. Rev. B, 102, 144435 (2020).
- Sarathlal Koyiloth Vayalil, Aswathi K, Ajesh K.G, Stephan V Roth, P.S Anil Kumar “Tailoring of Uniaxial magnetic anisotropy in Permalloy thin films using nanorippled Si substrates” J. Phys. Condens. Matt. 32, 185804 (2020).
- M. Gensch, M. Schwartzkopf, W.Ohm, C. J. Brett, Pallavi Pandit, Sarathlal K Vayalil, et al. “Correlating Nanostructure, Optical and Electronic Properties of Nanogranular Silver Layers during Polymer-Template-Assisted Sputter Deposition”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 11, 29416−29426 (2019).
- Sarathlal Koyiloth Vayalil, Ajay Gupta, Stephan V Roth "Study of pattern transition in nanopatterned Si(100) produced by impurity assisted low energy ion beam erosion"Appl. Phys. A , 123, 225(2017).
- Peng Zhang, Gonzalo Santoro, Shun Yu, Sarathlal Koyiloth Vayalil, Sebastian Bommel, Stephan Roth, "Manipulating the Assembly of Spray-deposited Nano-colloids: in situ Study and Monolayer Film Preparation "Langmuir 32(17), 4251 (2016).
- Tommy Hofmann, Dirk Wallacher, Jan Perlich, Sarathlal Koyiloth Vayalil, Patrick Huber," Formation of periodically arranged nanobubbles in mesopores: Capillary bridge formation and cavitation during sorption and solidification in an hierarchical porous SBA-15 matrix "Langmuir, 32 (12) 2928-2936 (2016).
- Sarathlal Koyiloth Vayalil, Ajay Gupta, Stephan V Roth, Ganesan V, “Investigation of the mechanism of impurity assisted nanoripple formation on Si induced by low energy ion beam erosion” J. Appl. Phy 117, 024309 (2015).
- Shun Yu, Gonzalo Santoro, Yuan Yao, David Babonneau, Matthias Schwartzkopf, Peng Zhang, Sarathlal Koyiloth Vayalil, Philipp Wessels, Ralph Döhrmann, Markus Drescher, Peter Müller-Buschbaum, Stephan V. Roth, “Following the Island Growth in Real Time: Ag Nanocluster Layer over Alq3 Thin Film” J. Phys. Chem. C 119 (8) 4406–4413 (2015).
- G. Santoro, S. Yu, M. Schwartzkopf, P. Zhang, Sarathlal Koyiloth Vayalil., J.F.H. Risch, M. A. Rübhausen, M. Hernández, C. Domingo, and S.V. Roth, “Silver substrates for surface enhanced Raman scattering: Correlation between nanostructure and Raman scattering enhancement” Appl. Phys. Lett. 104, 243107 (2014).
- Debalaya Sarker, H. Kumar, Rajkumar Patra, D. Kabiraj, D. K. Avasthi, Sarathlal K Vayalil, S. V. Roth, P. Srivastava and S. Ghosh, “Enhancement in field emission current density of Ni nanoparticles embedded in thin silica matrix by swift heavy ion irradiation” J. Appl. Phy. 115, 174304 (2014).
- Debalaya Sarker, Santanu Ghosh, Debdulal Kabiraj, Devesh Avasthi, Antonella Iadecola, Sarathlal Koyiloth Vayalil, Pankaj Srivastava, “Electronic excitation induced structural modification of FeCo nanoparticles embedded in silica matrix” Materials Research Express 1, 035017 (2014).
- Peng Zhang, Haiying Huang, Yu Chen, Shun Yu, Christina Krywka, Sarathlal K. Vayalil, Stephan V. Roth, Tian-bai He, Preparation of Long-range Ordered Nanostructures in Semicrystalline Diblock Copolymer Thin Films Using Micromolding”Chinese Journal of Polymer Science 32, 1188 (2014).
- Ulla Vainio, Thea I.W. Schnoor, Sarathlal Koyiloth Vayalil, Karl Schulte, Martin Müller and Erica T. Lilleodden, “Orientation Distribution of Vertically Aligned Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes” J. Phys. Chem. C, 118, 9507−9513 (2014).
- Sarathlal K.V., Satish Potdar, Mohan Gangrade, V. Ganesan, Ajay Gupta “Azimuthal angle dependence of nanoripple formation on Si (100) by low energy ion erosion” Adv. Mat. Lett. 4(6), 398-401 (2013).
- Sarathlal K.V., Dileep Kumar, Ganesan V, Ajay Gupta, “In-situ study of magnetic thin films on nanorippled Si (100) substrates Appl. Surf. Sci. 258, 4116 (2012).
- Sarathlal K.V., Dileep Kumar, Ajay Gupta, “Growth study of Co thin films on nanorippled Si substrate” Appl. Phys. Lett.98, 123111 (2011).
- Sarathlal K.V, Dileep Kumar Ajay Gupta “Structural and Transport Studies of Co Thin Film on Nano Rippled Si (100) Substrates” AIP Conf. Proc. 1349 689 (2011).
- Dileep Kumar, Sarathlal.K.V., Oliva Saldanha, Ajay Gupta, “In‐Situ Magneto‐Optical Kerr Effect for Interface Magnetism” AIP Conf. Proc. 1349, 1187 (2011).
Conference Presentations (Important ones):
- SAXS/WAXS/[email protected], Jan 2022, Hamburg, Germany( Invited talk)
- MRSI AGM2019, IISc, Bangalore Feb 12th -15th 2019
- SAXS/WAXS/[email protected], Jan 2018,DESY, Hamburg, Germany( Invited talk)
- ICONSAT 2018, March 21st -23rd 2018, IISc Bangalore
- Physics of Magnetism 17, at Poznan, Poland, 26th-30th June 2017.
- Cochin Nano 2016, CUSAT, Kochi, India, 20th -23rd Feb 2016.
- ECOSS 31, Barcelona, Spain, 31st Aug-04th Sept 2015.
- NANOSAM 2015, Krakow, Poland, 12th -16th July 2015
- DPG2015, Berlin March15-20, 2015.
Projects or Ph.D.’s guided:
- PG Projects- 7
- UG Projects-3
- Project Assistants- 3
- Life Member of Indian Physics Association (IPA)
- Life Member of Material Research Society of India (MRSI)
Honours and Achievements:
- DST Inspire Faculty Fellowship 2015
- Delivered Invited talks in 3 International and 2 National Conferences.
- Conducted experiments at Large Scale Facilities like ESRF-Grenoble France, PETRA III-DESY Hamburg Germany, Elettra Synchrotron Trieste Italy, BSRF, Beijing China and RRCAT Indore India.
- More than 10 Research Proposals submitted for Synchrotron Beam time at DESY, Hamburg, Germany accepted during last 8 years.
- Strong International research collaborations - University of Bielefeld, Germany, Photon Science DESY Hamburg, Germany, University of Rome, Italy
- Best Oral presentation award, Cochin Nano 2016, Kochi, India.
- Best Poster presentation award, 54th DAE- SSPS 2009, M.S University Vadodara, India.
Personal interests: Volunteer work for Science outreach to Remote/Rural areas, Solo travelling.