Why Study LL.M.
Students placed in 2022-23* in School of Law
Placement in 2022-23* in School of Law
Recruiters in 2022-23* in School of Law
A postgraduate law degree gives students an in-depth insight into the vast modern legal landscape. Students can familiarise themselves with the workings of the law industry and can also specialise in an area of interest.
LL.M. course subjects cover all the essential knowledge, concepts, and principles related to the field. The wide range of specialisations comes with its own set of curricula modelled after the needs of each sector. Hence, Master of Laws with specialisation in Energy Law will differ from the learnings obtained from an LL.M. degree in International Economic Law.
LL.M. colleges in Uttarakhand such as UPES offer students a strong platform to build a professional career in law. Along with having industry experts on advisory board, the university also remains the first to be awarded the QS Five-Stars Global Rating for employability in 2016.
There are four LL.M. programs in UPES that students can enrol for which are industry-aligned specialisations. These courses shared below are sector-specific and designed as per current developments in the field.
- LL.M. - Environmental and Energy Law
- LL.M. - Corporate and Commercial law
- LL.M. - Cybersecurity and Digital Law
- LL.M. - Intellectual Property Rights
- LL.M. - Alternate Dispute Resolution
LL.M. programs at UPES offer both theoretical and practical knowledge into specific areas of law, making one applicable for numerous job roles in their selected domain. The university had a 94% placement rate in the past year, where students found employment with top names such as Fox Mandal, Larsen & Toubro, IBM, Bosch and many more.
With the massive exposure that LL.M. in Uttarakhand offers, students can go for a variety of job roles in sectors ranging from law firms to corporate houses, media firms, and public organisations. Some popular roles that students can consider are:
- Criminal lawyer: This job role requires one to defend someone who has been accused of committing a crime. This means carefully putting facts and figures together and articulating it to the court for the criminal to be tried.
- Legal researcher: The job of a legal researcher requires in-depth studying of laws and legal articles. One can be required to research cases or customer intellectual property to support what the lawyer wants to present in court.
- Legal writer: Those with a flair for writing can take up this job role that requires assisting clients in creating legal briefs, contracts, and documents.
- Corporate lawyer: There is a lot of legal work involved in corporates such as contracting, acquisition, and assuring that various rights and decrees are in due accordance. Corporate lawyers take care of all such legal formalities and ensure a smooth undertaking.
Specialisation at UPES comes bundled with global opportunities
- Free 4-week study abroad programme in Berlin and Vancouver (pay only for travel and stay).
- Two Professional Courses* from AWS, IBM, Tableau.
- Sports International level playing fields
- Food Options Multi cuisine food options
- Library 200,000 Publications
- Advanced Labs With State-of-the-art facilities
- Medical Facility 24x7 team of doctors
- Transport Facility Safe and Secure buses
- Auditorium 3 world-class auditoriums
- Secured Campus Round-the-clock monitoring by guards and CCTV
Eligibility criteria for LL.M. Admissions
The eligibility criteria for getting admission in LL.M. programs at UPES is as follows:
- Minimum 50% marks at Higher & Senior Secondary level (X & XII)
- Minimum 50% marks in Graduation with LL.B. Degree or equivalent.
- Followed by online exam ULSAT - LL.M.
For Fee Information, Click here.
* For further details, refer to T&C at
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. If you are keen to pursue LL.M., then you need to have a graduation degree in law. UPES requires you to have 50% marks in LL.B., which is a pre-requisite for anyone applying for LL.M.
UPES not only prepares you for a sound career ahead but also offers excellent placement opportunities. The university enjoys a remarkable placement record of 94%.
UPES offers 6 different specialisations in LL.M. which are:
- LL.M. - Energy Law
- LL.M. - International Business law
- LL.M. - Corporate and Securities Law
- LL.M. - Cyber Law
- LL.M. - Environmental Law and Policy
- LL.M. - Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
A Master's degree in Law is a 1-year postgraduate program in the field of law, offering specialisations such as International Law, Criminal Law, and Corporate Law among many others.
For admission in LL.M., candidates require a minimum of 50% marks at Higher and Senior Secondary levels (X and XII) and minimum 50% marks in Graduation with LL.B. Degree or equivalent.
For admission to LL.M., candidates need to score relevant marks in UPES’s School of Law entrance exam ‘ULSAT-LLM’. Candidates can also have a relevant score in CLAT-PG/CUET.
For the admission process, candidates have to submit their Aadhaar card number and PAN card number (including their parents’ PAN number) along with their original academic records.
Interested candidates can apply online at https://admission.upes.ac.in/apply or offline at the admission office by paying the application form fee of Rs. 1350.
UPES provide 5 general scholarships:
- Scholarship based on merit for freshers and existing students (2nd year onwards)
- 33% fee concession for bonafide Uttarakhand students
- Alumni scholarship
- Sports scholarships (up to 100% free ship on complete tuition fees and hostel).
- Scholarships for the economically weaker sections.
The university provides residential blocks for on-campus accommodation separately for boys and girls on a triple-sharing basis. The students can avail university’s on-campus hostel facility on a first-come, first-serve basis.
A Master's degree in Law is a postgraduate degree in the field of law, offering specialisations such as International Law, Criminal Law, and Corporate Law among many others.