Why Study M.Des.
Placements of School of Design in 2022*
Student place in 2022 of School of Design*
Recruiter for School of Design in 2022
Increasingly, Design is becoming a fundamental need in almost every field. as it propels the innovation and development of different domains The employment opportunities in this sector are rising with time and the future will see high demand for designers who possess the skills required for innovative execution and are well-versed with modern design tools and concepts.
Master of Design (M.Des.) program at UPES, gives the students the flexibility to work in multi – disciplinary environments. The course will teach you to address contemporary issues in an independent and creative way, in order to participate in a most stimulating and gratifying career.
About M.Des. courses
All the M.Des. courses at UPES are offered by the nationally recognised School of Design which focuses on nurturing design entrepreneurs with special encouragement for adoption of the latest technology, design thinking and digital transformation. The courses promote multidisciplinary learning through a mixture of customized course work and practical projects. Another benefit of the M.Des. courses is the exposure to live classes conducted in partnership with leading industry specialists and designers in India. The School of Design offers seven M.Des. courses covering several relevant disciplines in the design world.
- M.Des. Product Design
- M.Des. Transportation and Mobility Design
- M.Des. Interaction Design
- M.Des. Graphic Design
Film and Video/ Photography
Social Impact Design Robotics, Accessory Design
Immersive Media Design
Minor in any SOD Specialisation
A M.Des. degree can open up career opportunities across diverse domains that include internet and communication technologies and textiles, visual merchandising, TV production and Animation among other things. An advanced degree in designing can also expose you to an impressive set of transferable skills like logical thinking and analytical prowess that can be useful even if you switch career domains.
Here are some interesting career opportunities for each of the M.Des. specialization offered at UPES in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- M.Des. Transportation Design: Automobile designers, car designers, automobile engine consultants and racing car designers
- M.Des. Product Design: Product integration planners, product designers, product developers and development consultants.
- M.Des. User Experience and Interaction Design: UI/UX specialists, UI designers, UX designers, website developers and website design consultants.
- M.Des. Transportation and Mobility Design: two-wheeler mobility specialists, four-wheeler mobility specialists, heavy vehicle manufacturing consultants and mobile design streamline consultants.
- M.Des. Interaction Design: User interface designer, web-based developers, interface designers for online transactions, chat-bot designers, and interface designers for smart phones.
- Sports International level playing fields
- Food Options Multi cuisine food options
- Library 200,000 Publications
- Advanced Labs With State-of-the-art facilities
- Medical Facility 24x7 team of doctors
- Transport Facility Safe and Secure buses
- Auditorium 3 world-class auditoriums
- Secured Campus Round-the-clock monitoring by guards and CCTV
1. Minimum 50% marks at Higher and Senior Secondary Level (X & XII).
2. Minimum 50% marks in Bachelor’s Degree in Design/Engineering/Architecture/ Interior Design: 10+2+4 years (minimum four-year bachelor’s course)
Exam Pathway – Online UPES DAT (Design Aptitude Test) followed by interview and portfolio presentation
Non–Exam Pathway – Students with valid CEED scores could directly sit at interview and portfolio presentation
For Fee Information, Click here.
* For further details, refer to T&C at
Frequently Asked Questions
As a part of the personal interview round, you can present your work portfolio in any of the following formats:
- Hand-drawn sketches and drawings showcasing variety of techniques using markers and colour pencils (10-15 sheets)
- Digital drawings and sketches rendered using digital tools and media (2D and 3D)
- A physical model or prototype of fabric or construction design
Master of Design or M.Des. is a postgraduate degree program of 2 years that aims to provide students, who have a keen interest in the artistic field, a platform to achieve the pinnacle standard in the field of design.
- Minimum 50% marks at Higher and Senior Secondary Level (X & XII).
- Minimum 50% marks in Bachelor’s Degree in Design/Engineering/Architecture/ Interior Design: 10+2+4 years (minimum four-year bachelor’s course).
2 years M.Sc./MTech in Computer Science and Engineering. IT Subjects / Domains (Only for Interaction Design) or equivalent.
For admission in M.Des. programs, the candidates need to score relevant marks in UPES’s School of Design entrance exam ‘UPESDAT’. The process is then followed by a portfolio presentation and a final interview.
For the admission process, candidates have to submit their Aadhaar card number and PAN card number (including their parents’ PAN number) along with their original academic records.
UPES provides Scholarships, click here to know more:
Interested candidates can apply online at https://admission.upes.ac.in/apply or offline at the admission office by paying the application form fee of Rs. 1350.
M.Des. graduates can work in a variety of job profiles depending on their specialisation. They can work as an interior designer, visual merchandise designer, product designer and consultants, industrial designers, graphic designers and in various other creative jobs.
The program will begin with the commencement of PEP (Personality Enhancement program) for students to develop a positive outlook and gain several skills necessary for their time at the university. The university will also assist the students in grabbing the best internship opportunities. The students will also be offered pre-placement boot camp for the students for Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interview (PI) training for their upcoming placements.
The university provides residential blocks for on-campus accommodation separately for boys and girls on a triple-sharing basis. The students can avail university’s on-campus hostel facility on a first-come, first-serve basis.