Dr. Sudip Kumar Saha
No. Papers published in journals: 60
No. Papers presented in conferences: 40
No. Citations: Google Scholar – 1592
Academic Background (Degrees, University Name & Year of Passing):
Ph. D. in Agricultural Sciences; Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi; 1983
M. Sc. in Agricultural Sciences; Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi; 1979
B. Sc. Agriculture (Hons.); Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, West Bengal; 1977
- Distinguished Professor, Geoinformatics, Department of Petroleum Engineering and Earth Sciences; University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES); 1917 – present.
- Emeritus professor Geoinformatics academic program of United Nation (UN) organization named as Centre for Space Science & Technology Education in Asia – Pacific (CSSTEAP), Dehradun; 2015 - 2017
- Dean and Group Director, Earth Resources & System Studies Group, Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), Indian Space Research Organization(ISRO), 2010- 2015
- Senior Professor & Professor and Head, Remote Sensing Applications Division, Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), ISRO; 2003 – 2010
- Associate Professor & Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), Indian Space Research Organization(ISRO), 1986 – 2002
- Scientist – SC, Space Applications Centre (SAC), ISRO, Ahmedabad; 1983 - 1985
Honours and Achievements:
- Indian Society of Remote Sensing (ISRS) national prestigious award called “Prof. Satish Dhawan” award for research contributions in Geoinformatics Technology, applications and academic capacity building in Asia-Pacific region.
- Expert of International Technical Advisory Mission Members (TAM) of UN ‐ SPIDER (Space based Information for Disaster Management & Emergency Response) visited Sri Lanka 2011 and contributed in the preparation of policy document for national action plan of Sri Lanka on the use of space technology based inputs in the disaster monitoring and management.
- Visiting Guest faculty to GDTA (Groupe for Development of Teledetection Aerospatiale), Remote Sensing Research Institute of CNES (National Space Research Organization of France), Toulouse, France, for teaching various topics on Indian Experiences in RS & GIS applications including Agricultural Applications to the international students during October 10 – 25, 2000.
- Interest: Digital Image Processing; Hyperspectral Remote Sensing; Thermal & Microwave Remote Sensing; Spatial data Analysis & Modeling; Applications of Geoinformatics
- Contributions: 37 years research experiences and contributed in Satellite Remote Sensing (RS) and Geospatial technology and applications in sustainable natural resources; natural disaster and environmental inventory and management; Satellite Image processing and geospatial modeling of ecosystems & earth processes.
- 20 years international research experiences in the field of RS & GIS technology & applications through guiding number of CSSTEAP (UN Centre), M. Tech. and Ph. D. students research works at their home countries of Asia- Pacific region.
- S. K. Saha and A Senthil Kumar (2019) Northwest Himalayan Ecosystems: Issues, challenges and role of geospatial technology, In book “ Remote Sensing of North-western ecosystems” (Editors: R.R. Navalgund; A Senthil Kumar and S. Nandy), Pub: Springer; 3-14pp
- S K Saha, P. K. Srivastava and D. K. Gupta (2017) Remote Sensing and GIS Applications in Petroleum Exploration – Current Status and Future Prospect, Proc. Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, New Delhi
- A Kundu, NR Patel, SK Saha, D Dutta (2017) Desertification in western Rajasthan (India): an assessment using remote sensing derived rain-use efficiency and residual trend methods; Natural Hazards 86 (1), 297-313
- N Dangwal, NR Patel, M Kumari, SK Saha Monitoring of water stress in wheat using multispectral indices derived from Landsat-TM; Geocarto International 31 (6), 682-693
- R R Regmi and S. K. Saha (2015) Impact Assessment of Land Use Land Cover Change on Soil Erosion Status in Phewa Lake Watershed of Nepal, International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 5(3), 1708 – 1717
- S. Tiwari, S.K.Saha & Suresh Kumar (2015) Prediction modeling and mapping of soil carbon content using ANN, Hyperspectral Satellite data and field spectroscopy, Advances in Remote Sensing, 4, 63‐72.
- Suresh Kumar, Gautam Ghosh and S. K. Saha (2015) Hyperspectral remote sensing data derived spectral indices in characterizing salt‐affected soils: a case study of Indo‐Gangetic plains of India, Environmental Earth Sciences, 73(7), 3299‐ 3308.
- D Dutta, A Kundu, NR Patel, SK Saha, AR Siddiqui (2015) Assessment of agricultural drought in Rajasthan (India) using remote sensing derived Vegetation Condition Index (VCI) and Standardized Precipitation Index (SPI); The Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Science 18 (1), 53-63
- R R Regmi, S K Saha and M K Balla (2014) Geospatial Analysis of Land Use Land Cover Change Modeling at Phewa Lake Watershed of Nepal by Using Cellular Automata Markov Model, International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 4 (1), 260 – 267.
- G Ghosh, S Kumar, SK Saha (2012) Hyperspectral satellite data in mapping salt-affected soils using linear spectral unmixing analysis, Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing 40 (1), 129-136
- Completed number of research projects at Principal Investigator & Project Manager in various areas of Remote sensing & GIS Technology and Applications. The list of major projects is given below:
- Geodynamics & Seismicity Investigations in North Western Himalaya
- Mapping, Modeling & Impact Assessment of Land Subsidence in Northern India
- Geo-environmental mapping & modeling of land subsidence phenomena in Jharia coalfield;
- Spectral & reflectance spectroscopy for mineral exploration in parts of mineral belts of Rajasthan and Odisha
- Thermal anomaly detection & monitoring of coal fire in the Gondwana coalfields of India using time series coarse resolution multispectral TIR data and impact analysis
- National Carbon Project (SCP) – Soil C Pool, VCP – Vegetation C Pool & SVF – Soil Vegetation Fluxes);
- Ensemble hydrological modeling approach for integrated water balance studies for dynamic water resources assessment in geospatial environment for Indian river basins.
- RS based Hydro-Meteorological Data Assimilation in the Hydrological & Weather Forecasting Models
- ISRO Geosphere Biosphere Project: Land use land cover dynamics in Sutlej & Ghagghar river Basins;
- Crop modeling for regional wheat productivity analysis;
- Approach in agricultural land use planning in rain‐fed agroecosystems;
- ISRO Geosphere Biosphere Project: Land use land cover dynamics & impact of human dimensions in Indian river basins
- Indian Society of Remote Sensing
- Indian Society of Geomatics
- Indian Meteorological Society
Personal interests:Travelling; Photography and Reading
School: School of Engineering
Department:Department of Petroleum Engineering and Earth Sciences