Duration of Program 4 years (8 Semesters)
*Total Seats in B.Tech. (Mechatronics Engineering)
Despite so much progress in the field of automation technology, the world has to be ready for the further explosion of these technologies in the areas like manufacturing, healthcare, production, tracking, delivery, etc. Engineers need to further work on better communication between human to machine and machine to machine. Workforce training in these advanced areas has also changed to prepare them for the industry 4.0 model. The future industry is going to be highly digital and human beings will be more engaged in creative, tactical, and empathetic work directing automation technology to do routine tasks. Mechatronics has caused the same sea change in engineering. In many industries today, engineers have to work in cross-discipline; and in collaborative teams to ensure that the complex, highly integrated systems run smoothly.
Mechatronics is the efficient and effective integration of mechanical systems, electronics, and intelligent control; aims to produce students who can design & develop smart machines, use their multidisciplinary skills to meet the growing demands of future industries.
To understand the concept of mechatronics, one can simply think about today's automobiles. The average car today has between 25 and 50 central processing units (CPUs) that control mechanical functions. A driver support system (DSS) such as anti-lock breaks is designed with mechatronics; the electronic control system takes over the braking function when sensors recognize that one or more wheels are locking up. It has also allowed engineers to create smarter products, smaller products, and tiny & efficient products at the nanotech level.
Keeping these in mind, two specializations are being offered with B.Tech. Mechatronics
Machine Design & Programming
One may like to advance his/her career in machine design with different programming skills can take this specialization. Training on different design and programming tools will be the major part of this specialization.
Major Areas Covered
- Automation Principles
- PLC / Micro Controller Technology
- Sensor Technology
- Pneumatics / Electro-pneumatics
- Hydraulics /Electro-hydraulics
- Mechatronics System Design
- Fluid Power system and Factory automation
- Rapid prototyping and tooling
- Micro Electromechanical systems
- Robot Technology
The foundation of higher learning at UPES since its inception has been to explore and promote areas of learning that are innovative and future focused. This has led to constant evolution in facilitating creative and collaborative learning engagements for students through realignment of curriculum and exploration of virtual tools, and open-source courseware; thereby creating borderless learning and access to limitless information.
The new curriculum framework at UPES, ABLE (Academic Blueprint for Learning Excellence) is holistic in its overall structure and yet focuses on the individual need of the student to discover, experience, explore and challenge. The learning is segmented into core subject studies, core specialism studies, minors/exploratory subjects, and signature and life skills learning. The latter three are offered by the newly-instituted School for Life.
SFL (School for Life) is an intrinsic part of the composite UPES student experience and facilitates learning and education that is a balance between what students want, and what is needed of them as future global citizens and leaders of tomorrow. With courses designed to equip students with lifelong learning skills, a focus on a wide range of contemporary issues, and a mandatory social and professional internship experience that is unique, UPES believes in igniting to inspire the best version within an individual to better the world.
PEO 2. Graduate will pursue advanced and interdisciplinary education and research in the domain of robotics, automation, process control and mechatronics product design ensuring efficacious professional career in technical, managerial and entrepreneurial roles.
PEO 3. Graduates will be ethical and professional in their demeanour.
PEO 4. Graduates will display social responsibility, contribute to nation building and evolve as global leaders in their specific domains
PSO2: Apply the knowledge of Mechanical, Electrical, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence in the development of Engineering processes and products.
|Life Skills||Life Skills 1||2|
|Life Skills||Life Skills 2||2|
|Major||Object Oriented Programming||3|
|Major||Basic Electrical and Electronics Engineering||3|
|Major||Object Oriented Programming Lab||1|
|Major||Basic Electrical and Electronics Engg Lab||1|
|Major||Physics I Lab||1|
|Signature Course||Signature 1||3|
|Life Skills||Life Skills 3||2|
|Major||Chemistry I Lab||1|
|Life Skill||Life Skill 4||2|
|Major||Applied Machine Learning||3|
|Major||Applied Machine Learning Lab||1|
|Major||Engineering Graphics II Lab||1|
|Major||Signals & Systems||3|
|Life Skill||Social Internship||0|
|Signature Course||Signature 2||3|
|Life Skills||Life Skills 5||2|
|Major||Robotics and Control||3|
|Major||Robotics and Control Lab||1|
|Major||Theory of Machines||3|
|Major||Theory of Machines Lab||1|
|Major||Mechanics of Materials||3|
|Major||Analog & Digital Electronics||3|
|Major||Instrumentation & Control||3|
|Signature Course||Signature 3||3|
|Life Skills||Life Skills 6||2|
|Major||Fluid Mechanics & Fluid Machines||3|
|Major||Fluid Mechanics & Fluid Machines Lab||1|
|Major||Embedded Systems Lab||1|
|Major||Design of Machine Elements||3|
|Major||Specialization Course I||3|
|Signature Course||Signature 4||3|
|Major||Programmable Logic Controller & HMI||3|
|Major||Programmable Logic Controller & HMI Lab||1|
|Major||Hydraulics and Pneumatics||2|
|Major||Hydraulics and Pneumatics Lab||1|
|Major||Specialization Course II||3|
|Signature Course||Signature 5||3|
|Major||Real Time Systems Lab||1|
|Major||Power Electronics & Drives||3|
|Major||Power Electronics & Drives Lab||1|
|Major||Automation in Manufacturing||3|
|Major||Specialization Course III||3|
|Signature Course||Signature 6||3|
|Major||Specialization Course IV||3|
|Major||Mechatronics System Design||3|
|Major||Specialization Course V||3|
|Design and analysis of algorithm.||3|
|Navigation, Guidance and Control||3|
|Distributed control for industrial automation||3|
|Micro and Nano Robotics||3|
- Active learning in Engineering
a) Integration of classroom demonstrations to aid teaching and learning. Interactive Phase diagram,
b) Integration of simulations into classroom teaching for enhanced learning.
c) Use of Ovako Steel Navigator.
- In-house development of customized software tools for engineering analysis and design.
- Combustion Analysis for calculation of adiabatic flame temperature.
- Introduction of 'Innovative Assignment design and transmission portal' for inculcating integrity and self-reliance in students.
- In house developed virtual labs to enhance lab session preparedness.
- Field trips at different levels (Year Wise) to improve exposure to real world problems.
- Induction cum mechanical engineering orientation program.
- Design and Manufacturing based project assignments.
- Practice informed learning through Bosch Centre of Excellence.
- Exposer to hydraulic, pneumatic, sensoric and PLC circuit design through Bosch Centre of Excellence.
- Integrated learning through mechanical, mechatronics and design systems
- Public Sector Units
- Higher education like MS/M.Tech/PhD
- Original Equipment manufacturing
- Core mechanical/Automotive and other allied areas
- Research and Development
- Design Engineers
Our major recruiters are:
- L&T Hydrocarbon
- Royal Enfield
- Larsen & Toubro
- Nestle India
- Reliance Industries
- Ashok Leyland
- Hyundai Motors
- Triflex Solution
- Nachi Robotics
- Aspagteq Technology Pvt. Ltd.
- Denso International
- Padmini VNA Mechatronics Pvt. Ltd.
- EBZ Systec
We guide students to start their career towards higher education in well-reputed National/International Universities/Colleges based on their interest. Some of the major universities where B.Tech-Mechatronics students pursued higher education:
- Deakin University, Melbourne
- ESCP, France
- University of Texas, Arlington
- University of South Wales, England
- RWTH Aachen University, Germany
- Czech Technical University, Prague
- University of Sydney, Australia
- Instituto D’ARTE Applicata E Design, Italy
- Aalto University, Finland
- NIFT, New Delhi
- IIT, Ropar
- Indian School of Business
- IISC, Bangalore
- HBTU, Kanpur
UPES encourages and provide support for developing student ideas into startups. Few of successful startups are
- Zero Waste Incorporation- Solid Waste Management
- DESIGNX PVT LTD- Service based company
- Ferrous fitness-work fit studio
- Craftyouneed- Store for handicrafts and handlooms in India
- NRS Chariot Tech Private Ltd-End-to-end solutions for optimized resource usage
- Treadmeal Nutrition
- Bikers Choice-Authorized dealer for Royal Enfield
- Nite's Owl Restaurant-Restaurant
To ensure that our students are industry-ready, we have introduced state-of-the-art courses that are designed and delivered by leading industries to impart knowledge that is essential for a seamless transition of students into engineering professionals. This is achieved through an innovative learning experience comprising of expert lectures, hands-on trainings and plant visits. Over the last three years, more than 800 students of Mechanical Department have benefitted from these courses.
- ‘A Primer on Stainless Steel’ by Jindal Stainless Limited (JSL)
- ‘Lean Champion’ and ‘Six Sigma Green Belt’ certifications by Indian Centre for Manufacturing Excellence (ICME).
INDUSTRY LED TRAININGS
To build cutting-edge competencies in students, industry-led training programs are organized wherein students get direct hands-on experience on hi-tech equipment and software.
INDUSTRY SUPPORTED IN-HOUSE TRAINING CENTRES
In-house training centres, supported by industries, have been set up to impart the essential skills that can enhance the employability of our students. Regular workshops are conducted for students through these centres, thereby bridging the gap between classroom learning and industrial practices.
- BOSCH Centre of Excellence
Students actively participate in competitive events such as Solidworks-X-Design, BAJA SAE INDIA, Efficycle (SAE Northern India), SUPRA (SAE INDIA), EFFI-CARS, QUAD TORC, Go-Kart (NKRC), ROBOCON, ROBO Premier League, ROBO Art, ASHRAE events etc.
and Mathematics) in Class XII
|Name of Program||Name of Test||Mode of Test||Test Dates||Last Date to Apply|
|B.Tech.||UPESEAT||Centre Based / Online Test will be conducted as per govt. guidelines||13th May to 15th May 2022||9th May 2022|
Non - Examination Pathway:
|Eligibility Criteria||Admission Criteria|
|JEE Main, SAT & Board Merit
(1) Minimum 50% marks at Higher& Senior Secondary level (10th&12th) and minimum 50% aggregate in PCM (Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics) at Senior Secondary level (12th class).
(2) JEE Main cut-off Rank to be announced (on UPES website) after the declaration of JEE Main 2022 results)
(3) SAT Cut off - 50 percentiles and above
(4). Minimum 80% Marks at Higher & Senior Secondary Level and Minimum 80% aggregate in PCM (Physics, Chemistry and Math’s) at
Senior Secondary Level
|Through Merit Rank / Cut-off Score|
# Upto 20% seats shall be filled through the non-exam category (10% through JEE Mains and 10% through Board Merit). In case of seats following vacant in this category; UPES has the right to fill these through UPES Examination. University also reserves the right to conduct further CBT / Pen Paper / Online tests for admission