Assistant Professor SG
Professor Mekhla Harrison is a Contemporary Indian artist renowned for her expertise in Mural Design and Fine Arts. She graduated from Sir J.J School of Art, Mumbai, in 1990 and further pursued her passion, completing a master's in fine art from the College of Art, New Delhi, in 1996. Notably, she received the prestigious Lalit Kala Academy Research Grant Scholarship in 1991-92, which enabled her to explore her artistic potential.
Her dedication to the field extends to art education and exhibitions, where she has actively participated in group and solo shows since 1999. Additionally, she passed the NET UGC exam in 1997, demonstrating her commitment to professional development and academic excellence. Born in Solan, H.P., her artistic journey has been characterized by innovation, creativity, and a deep passion for artistic expression.
Before joining UPES, Prof. Mekhla Harrison taught at various prestigious art and design institutions and schools of design in Delhi/NCR/Gurgaon. She was actively involved in upgrading syllabi in various institutes and conducted workshops and exhibitions.
Here are a few of her notable exhibitions and participations:
- "From the Soil to the Clouds" - a two-man show at Gallery Muse, Dehradun in 2023.
- "OPEN" - a group show at Quartair: Art Initiatives for Contemporary Art, The Hague, Netherlands, in 2020 and 2022.
- Exhibition at KalaSrot in association with Niv art gallery, New Delhi, in celebration of Lucknow Kala Mahotsav in 2015.
- Group show "Of Veracity and Chimera" at Art Konsult, IAF collateral Group Show, Lado Sarai, New Delhi in 2015.
- Invited as one of the 10 women artists, All Women-International Artists Residency at the Goa Chitra Museum in 2014.
- Group Show "Recurring Figures" at ART KONSULT Gallery, 23 Haus Khas Village, New Delhi in 2007.
- Group Show "Che Guevara" at Cuban Embassy and Travancore Gallery, New Delhi in 2006.
- "Hiroshima…NEVER AGAIN" curated by Suneet Chopra at the Academy of Fine Art Literature, Siri Fort, New Delhi.
- Group show "Cause for Kashmir" at Shangri-La Hotel, New Delhi.
- Group Show curated by Suneet Chopra commemorating the 'Korean War' at "Art Konsult", Haus Khas Village, New Delhi.
- Group show at Habitat Centre, New Delhi in 2001 & Group show at Birla Academy, Calcutta in 2000.
- "Edge of the Century" group show curated by Amit Mukhopadhyay, New Delhi, exhibited in 100 galleries across Delhi.
- "Cyclone Orissa" group show at Rabindra Bhawan, New Delhi.
- Group Exhibition at HET FORT, Stroom, Den Haag, The Netherlands in 1998.
Her teaching philosophy revolves around creating a supportive learning environment that encourages students to experiment and find their unique language of expression. With a passion for art and education, she employs innovative methods to teach various mediums, providing clarity in art and design concepts through hands-on workshops since 1999.
Her dedication to environmental and social sustainability drives her to experiment with techniques, embrace unique aesthetics, and prioritize quality-conscious craftsmanship while challenging conventional norms. Prof. Mekhla actively gives back to society by promoting tangible sustainable practices, such as recycling wastepaper to create acid-free handmade paper and composting kitchen waste to minimize her carbon footprint.
As a prolific artist, educator, and contemporary artist with over 20 years of experience, she has exhibited her works in India, the Netherlands, Germany, and other countries.
Professor Mekhla Harrison encourages experimentation and self-expression while raising awareness of socio-political and environmental issues.
Foundation courses include Sketching and Drawing, Colour, Elements of Design, Principles of Design, Colour, and History of Art (Indian and Western). Along iwth Fashion courses like Fashion Art and SLA.
Awards and Grants