Dr. Piyush Kumar
Assistant Professor, Selection Grade
Dr. Piyush Kumar has done Ph.D. Biochemistry and after that, joined as a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Chemical Biology lab at the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee, India, to work on Aptamer-based diagnostics of pathogenic bacteria, their toxins, and xenobiotic molecules like urea, anionic detergent pesticides, and antibiotics; nanoparticles and natural products based non-antibiotic combinatorial antibacterial therapies; and molecular and biophysical characterization and therapeutic applications of probiotic enzymes (phytase, laccase, asparaginase, etc.). Dr. Kumar has publications in journals of international repute like Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemicals, Bioresource Technology, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, etc.
Dr. Piyush carries expert hands-on training on techniques such as Aptamer development, recombinant DNA technology, Circular dichroism, Fluorescence and Confocal Microscopy, Isothermal calorimetry, Flow cytometric analysis, and Nanoparticle synthesis and characterization—biochemical assays-Protein expression and purification, Km, Kcat, Kd determination.
Awards and Grants
- Somu Yadav, Shivangi Chamoli, Piyush Kumar, Pawan Maurya. Structural and functional insights in polysaccharides coated cerium oxide nanoparticles and their potential biomedical applications: a review. 2023, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules (Third revision submitted, 30 May, 2023). IF -8.05
- Sushila Arya, Ravindra Kumar, Om Prakash, Satya Kumar, Sonu Kumar Mahawer, Shivangi Chamoli, Piyush Kumar, Ravi Mohan Srivastava, Mozaniel Santana de Oliveira. Chemical Composition and Biological Activities of Hedychium coccineum Buch.-Ham. ex Sm. Essential Oils from Kumaun Hills of Uttarakhand. Molecules. 2022, 27(15), 4833. IF - 4.9
- Piyush Kumar, Arshad Ali Shaikh, Pardeep Kumar, Vivek K Gupta, Rajat Dhyani, Tarun Kumar Sharma, Ajmal Hussain, Krishnakant Gangele, Krishna Mohan Poluri, Korasapati Nageswara Rao, Ravinder Kumar Malik, Ranjana Pathania, and Naveen Kumar Navani. Double-Edged Nanobiotic Platform with Protean Functionality: Leveraging the Synergistic Antibacterial Activity of a Food-Grade Peptide to Mitigate Multidrug-Resistant Bacterial Pathogens. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 2022, 14, 18, 20652–20668. IF-10.4
- Rajat Dhyani, Shubham Jain, Ankita Bhatt, Piyush Kumar, Naveen Kumar Navani. Genetic regulatory element based whole-cell biosensors for the detection of metabolic disorders. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 2022, 199, 113869. IF -12.45
- Arun Beniwal, Amit Gaurav, Rekha Sharma, Tamoghna Ghosh, Piyush Kumar, Urmila Netter, Ranjana Pathania, and Naveen Navani. Draft Genome Sequence of Limosilactobacillus fermentum Strain NKN-51, Isolated from Fermented Yak Milk in Western Himalayas of India. Microbiology Resource Announcements. 2021, 10(16), e00186-21. ISSN No 2576098X. IF-0.88
- Shivangi Chamoli, Ekta Yadav, Hemansi, Jitendra Kumar Saini, Naveen K Navani, Ashok Kumar Verma and Piyush Kumar. Magnetically recyclable catalytic nanoparticles grafted with Bacillus subtilis ?-glucosidase for efficient cellobiose hydrolysis. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 164, 1729-1736. IF-8.05 Corresponding author
- Tamoghna Ghosh, Santosh Kumar Srivastava, Amit Gaurav, Alok Kumar, Piyush Kumar, Ajit Singh Yadav, Ranjana Pathania, Naveen K Navani. A combination of linalool, vitamin C, and copper synergistically trigger Reactive Oxygen Species, DNA damage and inhibits Salmonella enterica subsp. enterica serovar Typhi and Vibrio fluvialis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 2019, 85(4), e02487-18. ISSN Number 0099-2240 IF- 5.4
- Rekha Sharma*, Piyush Kumar*, Rahul Das, Vandana Kaushal, Naveen K Navani. A novel PTP-like phytase from Lactobacillus fermentum NKN51: Cloning, characterization and application in mineral release for food technology applications. Bioresource Technology. 2018, 249, 1000-1008. ISSN Number- 0960-8524. IF- 11.88 Equal First author
- Pardeep Kumar, Piyush Kumar and Naveen Kumar Navani. A simple method for detection of anionic detergents in milk using unmodified gold nanoparticles. Sensors and actuators B: Chemicals. 2016, 233, 157-161. ISSN Number-0925-4005 IF-9.0
- Shivangi Chamoli, Piyush Kumar, Naveen K Navani, and Ashok Kumar Verma. Secretory expression, characterization and docking study of glucose-tolerant ?-glucosidase from B. subtilis. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 2016, 85, 425–433. ISSN No-0141-8130 IF- 8.05
- Piyush Kumar, Paramesh R Lambadi, Naveen Kumar Navani. Non-enzymatic detection of urea using unmodified gold nanoparticles based aptasensor. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 2015, 72, 340-7. ISSN Number-0956-5663 IF-12.45
- Paramesh R Lambadi*, Tarun K Sharma*, Piyush Kumar, Priyanka Vasnani, Sitaramanjaneya M Thalluri, Ranjana Pathania, Naveen Kumar Navani. Facile bio-functionalization of silver nanoparticles for enhanced antibacterial properties, endotoxin removal and biofilm control. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2015, 10, 2155— 2171. ISSN Number-1178-2013 IF-7.0
- Supriya Deepak Patil, Rajnikant Sharma, Tapas Bhattacharyya, Piyush Kumar, Manasi Gupta,Bhupinder Singh Ch addha, Naveen Kumar Navani, Ranjana Pathania. Antibacterial potential of a small peptide from Bacillus sp. RPT-0001 and its capping for green synthesis of silver nanoparticles. Journal of Microbiology. 2015, 53(9), 643- 652.ISSN Number-1976-3794 IF-3.42
- Vinod Sangwan, Prashant Singh, Milko A. Jorquera, Punesh Sangwan, Piyush Kumar, Ashok K. Verma, and Sanjeev Agrawal. Isolation of phytase-producing bacteria from Himalayan soils and their effect on growth and phosphorus uptake of Indian mustard (Brassica juncea)" World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2013, 29(8),1361-9. ISSN Number-1573-0972 IF-3.31
- Piyush Kumar, Shivangi Chamoli, and Sanjeev Agrawal. Enhanced phytase production from Achromobacter sp. PB-01 using wheat bran as substrate: prospective application for animal feed. Biotechnology Progress. 2012, 28(6),1432-42. ISSN Number-1520-6033 IF-2.8
- Single stranded nucleotides sequences specific for binding to Acinetobacter baumannii and uses thereof. Applied at Indian patent office-201911016947
- Nucleotide sequences based colorimetric nanosensor for detection of urea. Applied at Indian patent office (Application number 901 /DEL/2014).
- Akansha Mehra, Shivangi Chamoli, Nitesh Kumar, Varsha Gautam, Priya Shrivastava, Varun Kumar, Priyanka Verma, Piyush Kumar, Pawan Kumar Maurya. Catalytically active nanomaterials as artificial enzymes. Oxides for Medical Applications, Woodhead Publishing Series in Electronic and Optical Materials, Elsevier, 2023, 305-337.
- Shahnawaz Ahmad Baba, Ruchi Mutreja, Arun Beniwal, Shubham Jain, Ekta Yadav, Tamoghna Ghosh, Naveen K Navani, Piyush Kumar. 2019. Nucleic acid guided molecular tool for in-vivo theranostic applications. Springer Nature. ISBN: 978-981-13-8835-4.
- Ruchi Mutreja, Pardeep Kumar, Anupama Semwal, Shubham Jain, Rajat Dhyani, Rupesh Agarwal, Umesh Chand, Shahnawaz Ahmad Baba, Naveen K Navani, Piyush Kumar. 2019. Aptamer: A Futuristic Approach in Diagnosis Rivalling Antibodies. Springer Nature. ISBN: 978-981-13-8835-4.
- Mahak Sapra, Tarun Kumar Sharma, Piyush Kumar, Ranjana Pathania and Naveen Kumar Navani. 2013. Nanoparticles based optical detection of xenobiotics small molecules. Nanotechnology Series: Multi-volume Set: 1 to 10 Vols Studium Press. LLC, USA. ISBN: 9781626990005.
- Piyush Kumar. Oxides for Medical Applications. 1st Edition, 2023, Woodhead Publishing Series, Elsevier, Paperback ISBN: 9780323905381 eBook ISBN: 9780323906425
Administrative responsibilities handled
- Member secretory, Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBSC), UPES, Dehradun
- Member secretory, Board of Studies, School of Health Sciences & Technology, UPES, Dehradun
- Nominated by UPES authority to attend NEP 2020 workshop held at Kumaun University, Nainital.
- SPOC, IQAC, School of Health Sciences & Technology, UPES, Dehradun
- Member, Admission committee, School of Health Sciences & Technology, UPES, Dehradun
- Member, Purchase Committee, School of Health Sciences & Technology, UPES, Dehradun
- Departmental Admission Committee (DAC), (2018-19, 2019-20) Department of Biochemistry, Central University of Haryana, Mahendergarh
- Departmental Purchase Committee (DPC), (2018-19) Department of Biochemistry, Central University of Haryana, Mahendergarh
- Special Invitee, Board of Studies (BoS), Department of Biochemistry, Central University of Haryana, Mahendergarh
- Special Invitee, Board of Studies (BoS), School Board, School of Interdisciplinary and Applied Life Sciences, Central University of Haryana, Mahendergarh