B.Com (Hons)- Banking and Insurance
The Bachelor of Commerce in Banking and Insurance program offered by UPES is a comprehensive undergraduate degree that focuses on the study of banking and insurance operations, financial services, risk management, and regulatory frameworks. The program aims to equip students with the necessary knowledge and skills to understand the intricacies of the banking and insurance sectors and build a strong foundation for a successful career in these industries.
The curriculum of the program covers a wide range of subjects, including commerce, economics, finance, banking, insurance, and risk management. Students learn about the principles and practices of banking and insurance, financial markets, investment analysis, risk assessment, and regulatory compliance. They gain an understanding of banking institutions, banking products and services, credit analysis, lending practices, asset-liability management, and banking regulations. The program also covers the fundamentals of insurance, including different types of insurance policies, risk assessment, underwriting processes, claims management, actuarial science, and insurance regulations.
Additionally, the program focuses on financial markets, financial instruments, and their role in investment and risk management. Students learn about risk assessment techniques, financial risk management, credit risk analysis, operational risk management, and regulatory compliance related to risk management practices. They also gain knowledge about the legal and regulatory frameworks governing the banking and insurance industries, including consumer protection, anti-money laundering, data protection, and financial market regulations.
- The Bachelor of Commerce - Banking and Insurance students gain a thorough understanding of the banking and insurance industries, covering principles, operations, products, services, risk management, and regulatory frameworks.
- Study a wide range of subjects, including banking fundamentals, insurance principles and practices, financial markets, risk management, legal and regulatory frameworks, and financial analysis, with a curriculum regularly updated to incorporate emerging trends and industry developments.
- Develop practical skills required for banking and insurance careers, including financial analysis, risk assessment, underwriting, claims management, financial planning, compliance, and hands-on experience through case studies, projects, and internships.
- Learn from experienced faculty members with expertise in banking, insurance, finance, and related fields, providing practical insights, real-world examples, valuable guidance, and networking opportunities with industry professionals.
- Benefit from internship opportunities, collaborations with banks, insurance companies, and financial institutions, industry-specific training programs, and certifications to enhance employability and gain insights into industry practices, trends, and job opportunities.
- Receive career guidance services, placement support, and opportunities for continuous learning through workshops, conferences, seminars, and networking events with industry professionals, alumni, and peers.
Future Scope / Industry Trends
The future of the Bachelor of Commerce - Banking and Insurance program holds great potential and a wide range of opportunities. The field is driven by technological advancements such as automation, artificial intelligence, data analytics, blockchain, and cybersecurity. Graduates with expertise in these areas will be in high demand to help banks and insurance companies leverage technology for improved efficiency, enhanced customer experiences, and effective risk management. The growth of digital banking and insurtech will continue, creating career prospects for graduates proficient in digital banking technologies and customer-centric digital solutions. Risk management, compliance, and cybersecurity will remain critical, leading to a demand for professionals who can assess risks, ensure regulatory compliance, and manage cybersecurity threats. There will also be a rising need for professionals who can provide personalized financial advice and wealth management solutions. Specialization in niche insurance areas, knowledge of regulatory environments, and understanding of sustainable finance practices will open up further opportunities. Additionally, graduates with knowledge of international banking regulations and customer-centric strategies will be valuable in roles related to cross-border operations and customer relationship management. With the emergence of fintech startups, entrepreneurial-minded graduates with technological skills can explore opportunities in this sector. To succeed in this evolving field, it will be crucial to stay updated with industry trends, acquire digital skills, and pursue continuous learning.
A Bachelor of Commerce degree with a specialization in Banking and Insurance opens up a wide range of career opportunities in the financial sector. Graduates can pursue careers in banking institutions, insurance companies, investment firms, and regulatory bodies. They can work as financial analysts, risk managers, underwriters, loan officers, insurance agents, or financial consultants. With a solid foundation in finance, accounting, economics, and insurance principles, graduates are well-equipped to handle roles related to risk assessment, financial planning, investment analysis, and customer service. The growing complexity of the financial industry ensures a constant demand for skilled professionals in banking and insurance, making it a promising field for those seeking a rewarding and stable career. Listed below are the potential career paths available for students interested in pursuing a profession in Banking and Insurance.
- Banking Officer
- Insurance Underwriter
- Claims Adjuster
- Risk Analyst
- Financial Planner
- Compliance Officer
- Relationship Manager
- Investment Analyst
- Audit Officer
- Risk Manager
- Insurance Claims Manager
- Loan Officer
- Insurance Broker
In recent years, there has been a notable improvement in the job prospects for students pursuing a Bachelor of Commerce - Banking and Insurance degree. Numerous well-known companies such as HDFC, Axis Bank, ICICI, IDFC First, HDFC Mutual Fund Group, Geojit Financials, Mahindra & Mahindra, Amazon, ByJus, and Infosys present attractive employment opportunities to these students. Moreover, many medium-sized startups are eager to recruit graduates with a Bachelor of Commerce - Banking and Insurance background. The initial salary for freshers in this field typically ranges from INR 6-10 lakh per annum. The salary offered is contingent upon the candidate's skills, knowledge, and exposure.
Click here for detailed Fee Structure.
The minimum eligibility criteria for Bachelor of Commerce – Banking and Insurance to be fulfilled by interested students is as follows: Minimum 50% marks in Classes X and XII.
The process of selection criteria for students interested in pursuing Bachelor of Commerce – Banking and Insurance offered by UPES is based on the individual's performance in Personal Interview.