B.Des. (Game Design)
The Bachelor of Game Design program offered by UPES is designed to equip students with the necessary skills and knowledge to thrive in the field of game design. The program integrates various disciplines such as computer science, creative writing, and graphic design to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of game design principles and practices.
Throughout the program, students will explore the creative aspects of game design and learn how to translate their imagination into a playable video game world. They will work with design specifications, integrate art and sound, and develop interactive gameplay experiences using technology and principles of good interaction and communication. Students will also develop their artistic skills, creativity, and logic, particularly in areas such as visual design, sculpting, scripting languages, and application programming interfaces.
The curriculum of the Bachelor of Game Design program covers a wide range of topics including research methodology, game history, user experience, modelling, character design, environment design, programming, and game engine. Moreover, students will also be equipped with entrepreneurial skills and a business attitude, allowing them to approach game design from both a creative and commercial perspective. By the end of the program, students will have the skills and knowledge to pursue careers as game designers, asset designers, art directors, level designers, character designers, concept artists, user interface designers, 3D artists, game programmers, lighting artists, illustrators, and cinematic artists.
- The Bachelor of Game Design program offers a comprehensive curriculum that covers various aspects of game design and development, including game mechanics, level design, storytelling, character design, programming, and more.
- Students gain practical experience through projects and assignments, allowing them to apply the concepts they learn in a real-world setting and develop their own games or collaborate on projects.
- Students have access to industry-standard tools and software used in game development, such as Unity or Unreal Engine, 3D modeling and animation software, and programming tools, giving them a competitive edge and preparing them for industry practices.
- The Bachelor of Game Design faculty members have relevant industry experience or academic expertise in game design, providing valuable knowledge and guidance to enhance the learning experience.
- The program invites guest speakers from the game industry, organizes industry visits, and helps students build connections with professionals, providing valuable insights into current industry trends, different career paths, and networking opportunities.
- The program collaborates with game studios or companies to provide internship opportunities, allowing students to gain practical experience, expand their professional network, and potentially secure employment after graduation.
Future Scope / Industry Trends
The future scope of the Bachelor of Game Design program is promising, as several exciting trends are expected to shape the gaming industry. Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) are becoming increasingly accessible, opening up new possibilities for immersive gaming experiences. Cloud gaming, enabled by advancements in cloud infrastructure and 5G networks, is set to gain popularity, offering game developers a broader audience. Cross-platform gaming is another growing trend, requiring game designers to create seamless experiences across different devices. Indie game development is on the rise, providing aspiring designers with opportunities to reach a global audience through digital distribution platforms. User-generated content allows players to shape their own gaming experiences, with designers continuing to provide tools for customization. Esports and competitive gaming have become mainstream, creating opportunities for game designers to cater to this growing sector.
Career opportunities in the field of Bachelor of Game Design include various roles such as game designers, game artists, game programmers, level designers, game writers, quality assurance testers, game producers, UX and UI designers, and sound designers. Game designers conceptualize and develop the mechanics, rules, and gameplay of a game, collaborating with artists and programmers. Game artists create visual assets using software like Photoshop or Maya. Game programmers write code and integrate the work of designers and artists. Level designers focus on creating engaging levels and puzzles. Game writers craft narratives and dialogues. Independent development and joining indie game studios provide entrepreneurial and creative freedom.
The students may pursue the following professional paths in the field of Game Design, as listed below.
- Game Designer
- Game Programmer
- Game Writer
- Quality Assurance Tester
- Game Producer
- Game UI / UX Designer
- Game Sound Designer
- Independent Game Developer
The Bachelor of Game Design program boasts a 100% placement record with several renowned recruiters. Prominent companies such as Lakshya Digital, Zynga, Dhruva, Underdog Studios, Rocksalt Games, MPS Interactive, and TCS actively hire graduates from this program. Students can be assured of securing job opportunities upon completion of their degree. The average annual salary for graduates is 6.30 Lakhs per annum, reflecting the program's effectiveness in preparing students for the industry.
Click here for detailed Fee Structure.
The minimum eligibility criteria for Bachelor of Game Design to be fulfilled by interested students is as follows: Minimum 50% marks in class X and XII (any stream).
The process of selection criteria for students interested in pursuing Bachelor of Game Design offered by UPES is based on the individual's performance in National Level (NID/NIFT/UCEED/JEE) / UPESDAT / Board Merit/ CUET followed by Portfolio Presentation & Interview