M.Des. (Product Design)
The Masters of Design (Product) program offered by UPES School of Design is designed to provide students with a well-rounded and comprehensive education in the field of product design. The program takes a progressive and multifaceted approach, covering a diverse range of topics that are relevant to the industry.
Throughout the program, students will be exposed to various aspects of product design, including user research, product development, manufacturing processes, materials, and sustainability. This ensures that students develop a deep understanding of the entire product lifecycle and are equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to address the challenges they may encounter in their future careers.
One of the key highlights of the Masters of Design (Product) program is the integration of collaborative projects with industrial companies, social organizations, government bodies, and multinational corporations. This provides students with hands-on experience and real-world exposure, allowing them to apply their learning to practical scenarios. By working on these projects, students will not only enhance their technical skills but also develop their problem-solving, teamwork, and communication abilities.
- Masters Of Design (Product) students get benefit from a well-equipped classrooms and studios offer cutting-edge technology and materials for hands-on learning, including wood, metal, plastic, and ceramics. Students can also access top-of-the-line tools for digital design work, ensuring precision and accuracy.
- This program goes beyond traditional design education by providing interdisciplinary labs in electronics, robotics, mechatronics, and computer science. This holistic approach enables students to develop a well-rounded skill set and stay ahead in a rapidly evolving industry.
- To foster creativity and innovation, we provide dedicated photography and augmented/virtual reality studios. These additional resources allow students to explore new dimensions of design and expand their skill sets in emerging technologies.
- Valuable partnerships with renowned entities such as Maruti, Hettich, CNHi, Mozaic Design, and Desmania Design. These collaborations provide students with real-world exposure, industry insights, and potential internship or employment opportunities.
- Top-of-the-line facilities for surface finish and color enable students to conduct thorough material testing. This hands-on experience helps them understand the properties and characteristics of different materials, enhancing their ability to create innovative and functional product designs.
- Masters Of Design (Product) program emphasizes practical learning through extensive studio work, projects, and industry collaborations. Students gain valuable experience by working on real-world design challenges, preparing them for a successful career in product design.
Future Scope / Industry Trends
The future scope of a Masters of Design (Product) program is promising. The field of product design is evolving with various trends shaping its direction. User experience (UX) design is gaining significance, emphasizing intuitive and aesthetically pleasing products. Incorporating emerging technologies like augmented reality and artificial intelligence enhances interactive and personalized experiences. The demand for environmentally sustainable products is rising, leading to the creation of designs using recyclable and biodegradable materials. Customization is another key aspect as consumers seek personalized products in terms of color, design, and functionality. Collaboration with engineers, marketers, and other professionals is essential to create products that meet both business goals and consumer needs. Digital advancements enable virtual prototyping, reducing time and costs associated with physical iterations. The future of product design will be driven by a combination of user experience, technology integration, sustainability, personalization, cross-functional collaboration, and virtual prototyping. Designers who adapt to changing consumer preferences and stay ahead of these trends will have a strong advantage in the industry.
Masters of Design (Product) graduates have an array of career prospects awaiting them. One such opportunity lies in becoming a Product Integration Planner. These professionals ensure the timely and accurate delivery of materials and goods necessary for production. Working closely with managers and engineers, they ensure a smooth workflow devoid of any obstacles. Another common career path for product design graduates is that of a Product Designer. These individuals are involved in the design and development of both physical and digital products, overseeing the entire process from concept to the final product. Additionally, product developers play a vital role in small businesses, tasked with creating new products and enhancing existing ones to better cater to customer needs. Working collaboratively with marketing, engineering, and manufacturing experts, product developers contribute throughout the product development journey.
Students specializing in Product Design have the opportunity to pursue the following potential professional paths.
- Product Integration Planners
- Product Designers
- Product Developers
The Masters of Design (Product) program is highly regarded, thanks to its strong industry connections, exceptional faculty, and dedicated cluster leaders. The program's success is evident in its outstanding placement record, with graduates securing positions in prestigious companies and design studios known for their innovative work. Esteemed organizations like Design Direction, Elephant Design, Desmania, and TATA Elexi have welcomed our graduates. Notable corporations such as Samsung, Titan, Phillips, and Wipro Lighting have also contributed to the growth of the industry. Additionally, software companies including Dell, Accenture, Infosys, and L&T have showcased their expertise in this field. The Indian government's Institute of Packaging has also created numerous job opportunities, while student-initiated startups have further propelled the industry's advancement. The average annual CTC stands at Rs. 8.20 Lakhs, with the highest CTC reaching Rs. 10 Lakhs.
Click here for detailed Fee Structure.
The minimum eligibility criteria for Masters of Design (Product) to be fulfilled by interested students is as follows:
- Minimum 50% in class X & XII.
- Minimum 50% marks in bachelor’s degree in Design/Engineering/Architecture/ Interior Design: 10+2+4 years (minimum four-year bachelor’s course) OR 2 years M.Sc./MTech in Computer Science and Engineering. IT Subjects / Domains (Only for Interaction Design) or equivalent.
The process of selection criteria for students interested in pursuing Masters of Design (Product) offered by UPES is based on the individual's performance in National Level / UPESDAT/CUET followed by Portfolio Presentation & Interview.
Note: Candidates having valid CEED-2023 scores will be exempted from UPES – DAT Exam. The cut-off rank for CEED up to 1886.