B.Sc. Food, Nutrition and Dietetics
The B.Sc. Food, Nutrition and Dietetics program offered by UPES is a comprehensive three-year undergraduate program designed to provide students with a strong foundation in managing nutrition and promoting healthy eating habits. The program covers a wide range of subjects related to food science, public health, food safety and laws, and mother and child nutrition. Additionally, specialized courses in sports nutrition and nutrition in stressed conditions are also offered to address emerging trends in the field.
One of the key focuses of the program is the understanding and application of therapeutic diets for managing various diseases, including those related to the cardiac, liver, kidney, gastrointestinal, neurological, and inborn errors of metabolism. The curriculum also includes application-based subjects from basic life sciences, such as biochemistry, microbiology, anatomy, and physiology, to provide students with a holistic understanding of dietary management.
UPES places great emphasis on practical training and industry exposure for its students. Hands-on training is provided through practical sessions, industrial visits, hospital internships, and master classes conducted by experts. This allows students to apply their knowledge and skills in real-world settings and gain valuable industry experience. The B.Sc. Food, Nutrition and Dietetics program also offers opportunities for students to work on dissertation projects at renowned companies and institutions in the field of food, nutrition, and dietetics, including Fitello, Fitmantra, ZenOnco.io, Healthians, Nestle, Britannia, Parle, AIIMS, Fortis Escorts, and Max Hospital.
- The B.Sc. Food, Nutrition and Dietetics program at UPES offers a comprehensive curriculum that equips students with foundational knowledge and practical skills needed for further studies and employment in the industry.
- The program addresses the needs of healthcare professionals involved in translational health research and patient-oriented studies, ensuring students are prepared to contribute effectively in this field.
- Students are trained to interpret, implement, and adhere to clinical research ethics, laws, regulations, and guidelines, both at the national and international levels.
- The B.Sc. Food, Nutrition and Dietetics program aims to develop students as lifelong learners and leaders in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics, enabling them to excel in educational, technical, administrative, and research roles.
- Students gain hands-on experience through practical training and internships, enabling them to apply their knowledge in real-world settings.
- The program focuses on the holistic development of students, ensuring they acquire a well-rounded skill set encompassing technical expertise, communication skills, and critical thinking abilities.
Future Scope / Industry Trends
The future scope of the B.Sc. Food, Nutrition and Dietetics program is promising. With food-related problems claiming fifteen lives every minute globally, there is a critical need for experts in the field of nutrition. The imbalanced distribution of resources has resulted in obesity and starvation affecting numerous individuals. To tackle this issue, the demand for nutritionists is expected to increase. The growing population exacerbates the challenges associated with food, necessitating innovative approaches and methodologies. Choosing a career as a nutrition specialist is not only personally fulfilling but also beneficial for society as a whole. By acquiring the necessary skills and knowledge through this program, individuals can contribute to addressing the pressing issue of food-related problems and make a positive impact on people's lives.
In today's society, there is a growing emphasis on leading a healthy and physically active lifestyle. This trend has opened up diverse career opportunities for individuals who hold a B.Sc. in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics. Accredited professionals in this field have the privilege of collaborating with prestigious institutions, including hospitals, corporations, and the sports industry. Upon completion of their studies, prospective candidates can explore several promising career paths.
The students may pursue the following professional paths in the field of Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics, as listed below:
- Food Processing Manager
- Food Safety Auditor
- Public Health Nutritionist
The B.Sc. Food, Nutrition and Dietetics program boasts an average annual salary of Rs. 3.80 Lakhs, with the highest recorded salary reaching Rs. 5 Lakhs per year. Graduates from this program have attracted interest from prominent organizations such as Fitelo, Zydus Group, and Zyla Health, who have emerged as key recruiters in the field.
Click here for detailed Fee Structure.
The minimum eligibility criteria for B.Sc. Food, Nutrition and Dietetics to be fulfilled by interested students is as follows: Minimum 50% Marks at X & XII with Physics, Chemistry, Biology / Math’s, and English as a Major Subject in XII
The process of selection criteria for students interested in pursuing B.Sc. Food, Nutrition and Dietetics offered by UPES is based on the individual's performance in Personal Interview