Designation and Department & School:
Total years in experience: Research Experience – 10 years; Post PhD experience – 5 years
Papers published in journals: 19
Papers presented in conferences: 01
Citations: 127 (https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=fOGSjYIAAAAJ&hl=en)
Academic Background (Degrees, University Name & Year of Passing):
Pharm – West Bengal University of Technology, 2008
Pharm (Pharmaceutical Chemistry) – West Bengal University of Technology, 2010
D (Pharmaceutical Chemistry) – CSIR- Central Drug Research Institute (Registration from Integral University), 2016
- Honours and Achievements:
- GPAT Qualified in 2010
- CSIR-Direct SRF awarded in 2011
- SERB-NPDF awarded in 2017
During PhD work:
1) Designed and synthesize different thiazolidine-4-one and piperazine based analogues as non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs) against HIV-1
2) Molecular modelling studies including docking, 3D-QSAR, vHTS, Molecular Dynamics etc. to design new pyridin-2-one and related analogues as NNRTIs.
3) Designed and synthesize a new scaffold via molecular modelling to inhibit the activity of integrase.
4) An in-silico exploration for new antimalarials: Arylsulfonyloxy acetimidamides as prospective agents.Apart from my PhD work, I made significant research contributions in other diseases like Leashmania and Cancer.
5) Designed and synthesis of tubulin and topoisomerase II inhibitors for developing new chemical entities as anti-cancer agents.
6) Investigated new allicin analogues to understand the structure activity
relationship (SAR) against caspase-3 enzyme.
7) Design and synthesis of Aryl quinolinyl hyadrazone derivatives as anti-inflammatory agents that inhibit TLR4 activation in the macrophages.
8) Conformational perturbation of SARS-CoV-2 spike protein by N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) to get a probable strategy to combat COVID-19.
1) Identification of novel targets of infectious diseases and cancer by various in silico methods followed by implementation of new computational methods to screen large databases of heterocyclic molecules for the development of new inhibitors against the target enzyme.
2) Hit to lead formation followed by lead optimization via organic synthesis.
3) Structure activity relationship (SAR) based on Molecular docking & QSAR method.
Recent Publications: (2015-2020)
- Debnath U, Dewaker V, Prabhakar Y. S., Bhattacharyya P, Mandal A. Conformational Perturbation of SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein Using N-Acetyl Cysteine, a Molecular Scissor: A Probable Strategy to Combat COVID-19. ChemRxiv. 2020. Preprint. https://doi.org/10.26434/chemrxiv.12687923.v1
- Islam K, Pal K, Debnath U, Basha RS, Khan AT, Jana K, Misra AK. Anti-cancer potential of (1, 2-dihydronaphtho [2, 1-b] furan-2-yl) methanone derivatives. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 30 (20), 127476. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2020.127476
- Mandal SK, Debnath U, Kumar A, Thomas S, Mandal S, Choudhury MD, Palit P. Natural Sesquiterpene Lactones in the Prevention and Treatment of Inflammatory Disorders and cancer: A Systematic Study of this Emerging Therapeutic Approach based on Chemical and Pharmacological Aspect. Letters in Drug Design & Discovery, 17, 2020, pp. 1102-1116(15). https://doi.org/10.2174/1570180817999200421144007
- Bhaumik I, Pal K, Debnath U, Jana K, Misra A. K.; Natural product inspired Allicin analogues a novel anticancer agent. Bio. Org. Chem. 2019, 86: 259-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bioorg.2019.01.057
- Debnath U, Mukherjee S, Joardar N, Jana K, Sinha Babu S.P., Misra A. K.; Aryl quinolinyl hyadrazone derivatives as anti-inflammatory agents that inhibit TLR4 activation in the macrophages. Eur J Pharm. Sci. 2019, 134:102-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejps.2019.04.016
- Kondaparla S*, Debnath U*, Soni A, Dola V, Sinha M, Srivastava K, Puri S, and Katti S. B. Katti; Synthesis, Biological Evaluation and Molecular Modeling Studies of Chiral Chloroquine Analogues as Antimalarial Agents. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018, 62(12): e02347-17 (* equal contribution) DOI: 10.1128/AAC.02347-17
- Kamil R. F., Debnath U., Verma S., Prabhakar Y.S.; Identification of adjacent NNRTI binding pocket in multi-mutated HIV1-RT Enzyme Model, An in-silico study. Curr HIV Res. 2018; 16(2): 121-129. https://doi.org/10.2174/1570162X16666180412165004
- Das N, Bhattacharya A, Kumar Mandal S, Debnath U, Dinda B, Mandal S C, Kumar Sinhamahapatra P, Kumar A, Dutta Choudhury M, Maiti S, Palit P. Ichnocarpus frutescens (L.) R. Br. root derived phytosteroids defends inflammation and algesia by pulling down the pro-inflammatory and nociceptive pain mediators: An in-vitro and in-vivo appraisal. Steroids. 2018; (139): 18-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.steroids.2018.09.005
- Pyne P, Alam M, Rameez MJ, Mandal S, Sar A, Mondal N, Debnath U, Mathew B, Misra A K,Mandal AK, Ghosh W; Homologs from sulfur oxidation (Sox) and methanol dehydrogenation (Xox) enzyme systems collaborate to give rise to a novel pathway of chemolithotrophic tetrathionate oxidation. Mol Microbiol. 2018; 109(2): 169-191. https://doi.org/10.1111/mmi.13972
- Debnath U, Singh P, Gupta S K, Katti S.B.; N-hydroxy substituted 2-aryl acetamide analogues: new class of integrase inhibitors. Chem Biol Drug Des. 2017; 90(4):527-534.
- Deshpande S, Shivahare R, Debnath U, Sane S. A., Srivastava K, Haq W., Puri S. K., Gupta S, Katti S. B.; Synthesis, Antileishmanial and Antiplasmodial Activity of 7-trifluromethyl Substituted 4-Aminoquinoline Derivatives. The natural products journal. 2017, 7(2): 137-143.
- Saxena R, Gupta G, Manohar M, Debnath U, Popli P, Prabhakar Y.S., Konwar R, Kumar S, Kumar A, Dwivedi A; Spiro-oxindole derivative 5-chloro-4',5'-diphenyl-3'-(4-(2-(piperidin-1-yl) ethoxy) benzoyl) spiro[indoline-3,2'-pyrrolidin]-2-one triggers apoptosis in breast cancer cells via restoration of p53 function. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2016, 70:105-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2015.11.003
- Kushwaha R N, Debnath U, Singh P, Saxena R, Gupta S K, Tripathi R K, Siddiqui H H, Katti S. B.; New Piperazine-Derived NNRTIs as Anti-HIV Agent: Synthesis, Biological Evaluation and Molecular Docking Studies. Indo American Journal of Pharm Research, 2015: 5(01).
- Debnath U, Verma S, Singh P, Rawat K, Gupta S K, Tripathi R K, Siddiqui H H, Katti S. B., Prabhakar Y. S.; Synthesis, Biological Evaluation and Molecular Modeling studies of New 2,3-diheteroaryl thiazolidin-4-ones as NNRTIs. Chem Biol Drug Des. 2015. 86(5): 1285-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/cbdd.12591
- Verma S, Debnath U, Agarwal P, Srivastava K, Prabhakar Y. S. In Silico Exploration for New Antimalarials: Arylsulfonyloxy Acetimidamides as Prospective Agents. J Chem Inf Model. 2015, 55(8):1708-19. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jcim.5b00392
Projects or Ph.D.s guided: Nil
- Books Published: 01
- Debnath U and Katti S. B.; Recent Developments in HIV-1 Integrase Inhibitors; Advances in Studies on Enzyme inhibitors, Volume 1: Anticancer and Antiviral Drugs; Nova science publishers; NY, USA. 2017 Jan, pp 287-312. (ISBN: 978-1-53610-9) (ebook).
- Professional Memberships/Fellowship:
- SERB-NPDF (2017-2019)
- Personal interests: Gardening, listen music, Playing cricket