Dr. Prasanta Mandal
Ph.D. (Physics (Expt. Cond. Matt.)): IIT Bombay, 2008
M.Tech. (Cryogenic Engineering): IIT Kharagpur, 2001
M.Sc. (Solid State Physics): Vidyasagar University, West Bengal, 2000
- Associate Professor, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun, India. January 2019-Till Date.
- Assistant Professor, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun, India. June 2013-December 2018.
- Postdoctoral study (2008-2013): 1) TIFR Mumbai India, 2) AJOU University South Korea, 3) IIT Kanpur India
No. Papers published in journals: 37
No. Papers presented in conferences: 12
No. Citations: 648
Honours and Achievements:
- GATE fellowship IIT KGP (during MTech)-2000
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research CSIR-JRF&SRF-2001
- DST travel Grant 2005 (To present paper in international conference in Japan)
- UPES best researcher award-2020
- Functional nanostructures/nanomaterials for solar energy devices
- Chemical sensors for food science & technology, oil and gas detection
- Photonic/plasmonic nanosensors for Raman scattering application/molecular detection
- Advanced lithography for the nanofabrication of plasmonically active metamaterials
- Novel plasmonic metamaterial devices
Journal Publications (SCOPUS/ SCI Index):
- P. Mandal, 'Application of plasmonics in solar cell efficiency improvement: A brief review on recent progress ', Plasmonics (2022), https://doi.org/10.1007/s11468-022-01616-9
- P. Mandal, B. S. Tewari, 'Progress in surface enhanced Raman scattering molecular sensing: a review', Surfaces and Interfaces 28 (2022) 101655
- A. Dhyani, K. S. Bhatia, B.S.Tewari, Sudesh Sharma, P. Mandal, 'Optical transmission through MDM plasmonic tri-layer consisting of T and L shape periodic structures' , JTUSCI, (Taylor and Francis) 15 (2021) 530-535
- P. Mandal, 'Polarization insensitive plasmonic stacked multilayer metasurface with deep nanohole cavity as multi-band absorber', Optik 241 (2021) 166959
- P. Mandal, 'Highly absorptive chiral L-shape MDM plasmonic metasurface as multifunction device: design and computational studies',Plasmonics 16 (2021) 1391-1403
- P. Mandal, B. S. Tewari, 'Near-field manipulation and metallic cavity assisted high surface enhanced Raman scattering detection', AIP Conference Proceeding, 2265 (2020) 030689
- A Dhyani, P. Mandal, P. Rawat, B. S. Tewari, 'Electronic and Cooper pair tunneling signatures in the electronic spectra of superconductors coupled to quantum dot nano-junction', Physica C, 575 (2020) 1353673.
- Sanjay Kumar, P. Mandal, Anil Singh, Sajid Husain, Deepak Kumar, V.K. Malik, Sudesh Sharma, ‘Magnetization Properties of Co Incorporated ZnS nanocrystals Synthesized at Low Temperature via Chemical Route’, J. of Alloys and Compounds, 830 (2020) 154640
- V. Sharma, V. Sharma, M. S. Goyat, A. Hooda, J. K. Pandey, A Kumar, R. Gupta, A. K. Upadhyay, R. Prakash, J. B. Kirabira, P. Mandal, P. K. Bhargav, Recent progress innano-oxides and CNTs based corrosion resistant superhydrophobic coatings: A critical review,Progress in Organic Coating, 140 (2020) 105512
- P. Mandal, Au-Al multi-metal bilayer dagger-like structure for broadband circular dichroism and tunability, Optik,204 (2020) 164222
- S. Kumar,P. Mandal,S. Sharma,Effect of heat treatment on structural and optical properties of Zn1-xCoxS nanoparticle,Materials Today: Proceeding,17 (2019) 380-385.
- P. Mandal, S. Mohan, S. Sharma, M. S. Goyat, Broadband multi-resonant circular dichroism in metal-VO2hybrid dagger-like plasmonic structure for switching application, Photonics and Nanostructures: Fundamentals and Applications,37 (2019) 100735.
- Prashant Kumar Bhargav, KSR Murthy, JK Pandey,P. Mandal,MS Goyat, Rishabh Bhatia, Anirudth Varanasi,Tuning the structural, morphological, optical, wetting properties and anti-fungal activity of ZnO nanoparticles by C doping,Nano-Structures & Nano-Objects,19 (2019) 100365
- P. Mandal, Visible frequency plasmonic perfect absorber made of a thin metal layer containing cylindrical grooves, Photonics and Nanostructures-Fundamentals and Applications, 31 (2018) 66-70
- P. Mandal, Large circular dichroism in MDM plasmonic metasurface with subwavelength crescent aperture, Plasmonics, 13 (2018) 2229-2237
- D. Kumar, P. Mandal et al, Synthesis and Characterization of Ni incorporated Titanium Dioxide Thin Films, Journal of Materials Research, 33 (2018) 4165-4172
- S. Sharma, ….. P. Mandal, Structural and Optical properties of Cu incorporated ZnFe2O4 ferrite nanoparticles prepared by wet, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 212 (2018) 292-297
- P. Mandal, Ch Nageswar Rao, ‘Period and Cavity Depth dependent plasmonic metamaterial perfect absorber at visible frequency’, Journal of Nanophotonics, SPIE, 11 (2017) 036003
- P. Mandal, Plasmonic Ladder-Like Structure for NIR Polarizer, Plasmonics, 12 (2017) 333
- P. Mandal, S. Sharma, Progress in plasmonic solar cell efficiency improvement: A status review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 65 (2016) 537
- P. Mandal, et al, Plasmonic Ladder-Like Structure and graphene assisted high surface enhanced Raman scattering detection, J. Appl. Phys, 120 (2016) 173101.
- P. Mandal, Plasmonic Perfect Absorber for Refractive Index Sensing and SERS’, Plasmonics, 11 (2016) 223
- P. Mandal, H-Shape Plasmonic Metasurface as Refractive Index Sensor’, Plasmonics, 10 (2015) 439.
- Gangadhar Behera, P. Mandal, and S. A. Ramakrishna, Complementary layer pairs of plasmonic ladder-like structured films: Fabrication and visible-near-infrared properties,J. Appl. Phys, 118 (2015) 063104
- Dheeraj Pratap,P. Mandaland S.A. Ramakrishna,Plasmonic properties of gold coated nano-porous anodic alumina with linearly organized pores',Pramana J. Phys, 83 (2014) 1025.
- P. Mandal, Achanta Venu Gopal, Raj Patil and S. A. Ramakrishna, Polarization switching behaviour at visible and near infra-red wavelengths using H-slit plasmonic metasurface, J. Applied Physics, 114 (2013) 224303
- S. Kasture, P. Mandal, S. Dutta Gupta, Venu Gopal Achanta, Strong coupling of in-plane plasmon modes and their control, Opt Exp, 21 (2013) 13187
- P. Mandal, Prince Gupta, Amitabha Nandi, and S. Anantha Ramakrishna Fluorescence imaging with surface plasmon near-fields in gold nano-grating templates, Journal of Nanophotonics, 6 (2012) 063527
- P. Mandal, A. Nandi, and S. Anantha Ramakrishna, Propagating surface plasmon resonances in two-dimensionally patterned gold-grating templates and surface enhanced Raman scattering, Journal of Applied Physics, 112 (2012) 044314
- S. Kasture, P. Mandal, A. Singh, Andrew Ramsay, A. S. Vengurlekar, S. Dutta Gupta, Achanta Venu Gopal, Near dispersion-less surface plasmon polariton resonances at a metal-dielectric interface, Applied Physics Letters, 101 (2012) 091602
- P. Mandal and S. A. Ramakrishna,'Dependence of surface enhanced Raman scattering on the plasmonic template periodicity, Optics Letters, 36 (2011) 3705
- S. Anantha Ramakrishna, P. Mandal, K. Jeyadheepan, N. Shukla, S. Chakrabarti, M. Kadic, S. Enoch and S. Guenneau, Plasmonic interaction of visible light with gold nano-checkerboards, Physical Review B, 84(2011)245424
- P. Mandal, Amandev Singh, Sachin Kasture, Achanta Venu Gopal and A.S. Vengurlekar, Plasmon assisted intense blue–green emission from ZnO/ZnS nanocrystallites, Optical Materials, 33 (2011) 1786
- K. S. Cho, P. Mandal, K. Kim, I. H. Baek, S. Lee, H. Lim, D. J. Cho, S. Kim, J. Lee and F. Rotermund, Improved efficiency in GaAs solar cells by 1D and 2D nanopatterns fabricated by laser interference lithography, Optics Communications, 284 (2011) 2608
- P. Mandal, S. S. Talwar, S. S. Major and R. S. Srinivasa, Strong blue excitonic emission from CdS quantum dots prepared by LB technique, Applied Physics A, 94 (2009) 577.
- P. Mandal, S. S. Talwar, S. S. Major and R. S. Srinivasa, Orange-red luminescence from Cu doped CdS nanophosphor prepared using mixed Langmuir-Blodgett multilayers, Journal of Chemical Physics, 128 (2008) 114703
- P. Mandal, R. S. Srinivasa, S. S. Talwar and S. S. Major, CdS/ZnS core-shell nanoparticles in arachidic acid LB films, Applied Surface Science, 254 (2008) 5028.
- P. Mandal et al, Visible Frequency Plasmonic Metamaterial Perfect Absorber for Solar Energy Harvesting, International Conference on Nano for Energy and Water: ICNEW 2017, 231-235
- S. Sharma…..P. Mandal, Structural and Optical properties of ZnxCo1-xS Nanoparticles Prepared by Solvothermal Technique, International Conference on Nano for Energy and Water: ICNEW 2017, 147-151
- P. Mandal, Period and Cavity Holes Depth Dependent Plasmonic Perfect Absorber in the Visible Frequency,International Conference on Fiber Optics and Photonics 2016, IIT Kanpur.
- P. Mandal, Interacting Metallic Disc-antennas as Metamaterial Absorber in the NIR frequency,DAE-SSPS-2015,AMITY UNIVERSITY, NOIDA, DELHI,21-25 December, 2015. Proceeding will appear in AIP proceeding. MS version, copy AIP-2015.
- P. Mandal,Visible Frequency Perfect Metamaterial Absorber for Refractive Index Sensing Application,Optical Society of America conference-2014, IIT Kharagpur, 13-16 December.
- P. Mandal, Near-field hot-spots in gold nano-plasmonic templates and its use for surface enhanced Raman scattering sensing application', AMSEA national conference, 9-10 January 2014,UPES, Dehradun, India.
- P. Mandal,Subwavelength concentric plasmonic rings for surface enhanced Raman Scattering sensing application, Optical society of India Conference, ICOL, 5-8 March 2014, IRDE, Dehradun (presented).
- P. Mandaland S. Anantha Ramakrishna,Fabrication of Sub-micron Patterned Plasmonic Templates by LIL for Surface Plasmon Assisted SERS/SEF,Optical Society of America conference-2012, IIT Chennai, 9-12 December.
- 4.Prince Gupta,P. Mandal,and S. Anantha Ramakrishna,Loss Compensation for Surface Plasmon Resonances on Corrugated Gold Gratings Using an Amplifying Medium, OpticalSociety of America conference-2012, IIT Chennai, 9-12 December.
- Achanta Venu Gopal, Sachin Kasture, A.S. Vengurlekar,P. Mandal, Amandev Singh, Andrew Ramsay, V. Belotelov, I.A. Akimov, M. Pohl, V.A. Kotov, A.K. Zvezdin,Plasmonic crystals forenhancing optical properties,Proceedings of 56thDAE Solid State Physics Symposium 2011,AIP Conf. Proc.1447, (2012) 36
- P. Mandal, R. S. Srinivasa, S. S. Talwar and S. S. Major,Formation of ZnS coated CdS nanoparticles in Arachidic Acid LB multilayers, Proceedings of DAE Solid State Physics Symposium, India, 50 (2005)253.
- P. Mandal, E. M. Shahin, R. S. Srinivasa, S. S. Talwar and S. S. Major,Langmuir-Blodgett Multilayers of Conducting Regioregular Poly(3-dodecylthiophene),Proceedings of DAE Solid State PhysicsSymposium, India, 49 (2004) 462.
External Project Funding:
All-metal plasmonic perfect absorber metamaterial structures to capture visible-NIR radiation: Computational study and experimental feasibility, SERB-DST funded project, 18.8 Lakhs (2020-2023)
Projects or Ph.D.’s guided:
- Mr. A. N. Shankar Status: Synopsis completed
My role: Supervisor
- Ms. Urvashi Solanki
My role: Supervisor
- Indian Physics Association – Life Member (IPA)