Dr. Prasanta Mandal
Associate Professor (DOJ - 24.06.2013, Regular)
B.Sc. (Physics), Panskura Banamali College, Vidyasagar University, West Bengal
M.Sc. (Solid State Physics), Vidyasagar University, Midnapore, West Bengal
M.Tech. (Cryogenic Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
Ph.D. (Physics) (Expt. Cond. Matt.), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai
Area of Specialization:
Novel plasmonic and photonic structures for manipulating optical properties and control. Understanding of light-matter interaction at nanometer length scale.
Advanced plasmonic nanosensors based on the principle of surface enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) and surface enhanced fluorescence (SEF). Probing near-fields for SERS/SEF. Multi-wavelength excitation Raman scattering.
Advanced lithography for the nanofabrication of plasmonically active nanostructures and patterning. Multi-beam laser interference lithography, Plasmonic devices.
Research & Publications:
PUBLICATIONS: (website for details): https://sites.google.com/site/pmandalphyiitk/Referred Journals:
- P. Mandal, Achanta Venu Gopal, Raj Patil and S. A. Ramakrishna ‘Polarization switching behaviour at visible and near infra-red wavelengths using H-slit plasmonic metasurface’, J. Applied Physics, 114 (2013) 224303. Impact Factor: ~2.2.
- S. Kasture, P. Mandal, S. Dutta Gupta, Venu Gopal Achanta ‘Strong coupling of in-plane plasmon modes and their control’, Opt Exp 21 (2013) 13187. Impact Factor: ~3.8.
- Prasanta Mandal, Prince Gupta, Amitabha Nandi, and S. Anantha Ramakrishna ‘Fluorescence imaging with surface plasmon near-fields in gold nano-grating templates’ Journal of Nanophotonics, 6 (2012) 063527. Impact Factor: ~1.7.
- P. Mandal, A. Nandi, and S. Anantha Ramakrishna, ‘Propagating surface plasmon resonances in two-dimensionally patterned gold-grating templates and surface enhanced Raman scattering’, Journal of Applied Physics, 112 (2012) 044314. Impact Factor: ~2.2.
- S. Kasture, P. Mandal, A. Singh, Andrew Ramsay, A. S. Vengurlekar, S. Dutta Gupta, Achanta Venu Gopal ‘Near dispersion-less surface plasmon polariton resonances at a metal-dielectric interface’, Applied Physics Letters, 101 (2012) 091602. Impact Factor: ~3.8.
- P. Mandal and S. A. Ramakrishna, 'Dependence of surface enhanced Raman scattering on the plasmonic template periodicity', Optics Letters, 36 (2011) 3705. Impact Factor: ~3.5.
- S. Anantha Ramakrishna, P. Mandal, K. Jeyadheepan, N. Shukla, S. Chakrabarti, M.Kadic, S. Enoch and S. Guenneau, 'Plasmonic interaction of visible light with gold nano-checkerboards', Physical Review B, 84 (2011) 245424. Impact Factor: ~3.7.
- P. Mandal, Amandev Singh, Sachin Kasture, Achanta Venu Gopal and A.S. Vengurlekar Plasmon assisted intense blue–green emission from ZnO/ZnS nanocrystallites’, Optical Materials, 33 (2011) 1786.
- K. S. Cho, P. Mandal, K. Kim, I. H. Baek, S. Lee, H. Lim, D. J. Choc, S. Kim, J. Lee and F. Rotermund, Improved efficiency in GaAs solar cells by 1D and 2D nanopatterns fabricated by laser interference lithography’, Optics Communications, 284 (2011) 2608.
- Mandal, S. S. Talwar, S. S. Major and R. S. Srinivasa, ‘Strong blue excitonic emission Talwar, S. S. Major and R. S. Srinivasa, ‘Orange-red luminescence from Cu doped CdS nanophosphor prepared using mixed Langmuir-Blodgett multilayers’, Journal of Chemical Physics, 128 (2008) 114703.
- P. Mandal, R. S. Srinivasa, S. S. Talwar and S. S. Major’, CdS/ZnS core-shell nanoparticles in arachidic acid LB films’, Applied Surface Science, 254 (2008) 5028.
- Dheeraj Pratap, P. Mandal and S. A. Ramakrishna ‘Plasmonic properties of gold coated nano-porous anodic alumina with linearly organized pores’, Pramana, Journal of Physics, 2014 (in press).
- P Mandal,“Near-Field Hot Spots in Gold Nanoplasmonic Templates and Their Use for Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering Sensing Application”, Advances in Materials Science for Energy Applications, UPES, Dehradun, 9-10 January, 2014.
- P. Mandal and S. Anantha Ramakrishna "Fabrication of Sub-micron Patterned Plasmonic Templates by LIL for Surface Plasmon Assisted SERS/SEF", Optical Society of America conference, IIT Chennai, 9-12 December, 2012.
- Prince Gupta, P. Mandal, and S. Anantha Ramakrishna, "Loss Compensation for Surface Plasmon Resonances on Corrugated Gold Gratings Using an Amplifying Medium", Optical Society of America conference, IIT Chennai, 9-12 December, 2012.
- Achanta Venu Gopal, Sachin Kasture, A.S. Vengurlekar, P. Mandal, Amandev Singh, Andrew Ramsay, V. Belotelov, I.A. Akimov, M. Pohl, V.A. Kotov, A.K. Zvezdin, Plasmonic crystals for enhancing optical properties’ Proceedings of 56th DAE Solid State Physics Symposium 2011, AIP Conf. Proc. 1447, 36 (2012); doi: 10.1063/1.4709874.
- P. Mandal, R. S. Srinivasa, S. S. Talwar and S. S. Major, ‘Formation of ZnS coated CdS nanoparticles in Arachidic Acid LB multilayers’- Proceedings of DAE Solid State Physics Symposium, India, 50 (2005) 253.
- P. Mandal, E. M. Shahin, R. S. Srinivasa, S. S. Talwar and S. S. Major, ‘Langmuir-Blodgett Multilayers of Conducting Regioregular Poly(3-dodecylthiophene)’- Proceedings of DAE Solid State Physics Symposium, India, 49 (2004) 462.
Presented at international/national conferences:
- P. Mandal, ’Subwavelength concentric plasmonic rings for surface enhanced Raman scattering sensing application’ International conference ‘ICOL’, at IRDE, Dehradun, 5-8 March 2014.
- S. A. Ramakrishna and P. Mandal, ‘Manipulating light at the nanoscale using plasmonic nanostructures and metasurfaces’, ISMOA (invited lecture), presented on behalf of Prof. S. A. Ramakrishna) at 8th International Symposium on Modern Optics and its Applications, 4th July to 7th July 2011, Bandung, Indonesia.
- P. Mandal, Amandev Singh, A. S. Vengurlekar, Achanta Venu Gopal, ‘Surface plasmon polariton dispersion in dielectric-metal-dielectric structures with a pattern on top’, OSA Nanophotonics Conference, 31st May to 3rd June 2010, Tsukuba, Japan.
- P. Mandal, R. S. Srinivasa, S. S. Talwar and S. S. Major, ‘Composite Langmuir Monolayers and LB Multilayers of Regioregular Poly(3 dodecylthiophene) and Arachidates’- Presented at ‘The 11th International Conference on Organized Molecular Films (LB11)’, Sapporo, Japan, June 26-30, 2005.
- M. Parhizkar, P. Mandal, N. Kumar, S. S. Talwar, R. S. Srinivasa and S. S. Major, ‘Structure of Sulphide Nanoparticles in LB Multilayers’- Presented at ‘The 11th International Conference on Organized Molecular Films (LB11), Sapporo, Japan, June 26- 30, 2005.
International/national conferences attended:
- ‘ICOL-2014’, IRDE, Dehradun, 5-8 March, 2014, OSI
- ‘AMSEA-2014’, national conference, UPES, Dehradun, 9-10 January, 2014
- ‘Photonics 2012’, IIT Chennai, 9-12 December, 2012. OSA, Chennai.
- 8th International Symposium on Modern Optics and its Applications, 4th July to 7th July 2011, Bandung, Indonesia, (invited lecture and tutorial presentation).
- The 11th International Conference on Organized Molecular Films (LB11), Sapporo, Japan, June 26-30, 2005, oral as well as poster presentation.
- DAE Solid State Physics Symposium, BARC & TIFR, Mumbai, India, December 5-9, 2005.
- DAE Solid State Physics Symposium, GNDU, Amritsar, India, December 26-30, 2004.
- CSIR Fellowship, MTech Fellowship, DST travel grant