- M.Des (Furniture Design & Interiors), National Institute of Design.
Area of Specialization
- Furniture Design
- Experiential Space design
- Structures, Strength of Materials & Joinery
- History of Art, Design and Architecture
- Retail Spaces & Fit-Outs.
- Exhibition Design
- Modular & Folding Furniture.
- Green Design and Systems Thinking.
Achievements & Awards
- A designer, educator and maker, Rajan Iyer has more than 30 years of experience in the Design field. He has worked on various facets of Design from Interior spaces of Ships to Exhibition Design and Retail spaces.
- Rajan was HOD of Retail & Exhibition Design at Maeer’s MIT Institute of Design, Pune for nine years from 2009 to 2018. He has evolved as a Design mentor and has guided around 32 Postgraduate students and over 90 Undergraduate students in both disciplines of Furniture Design & Interior spaces as well as in Retail and Exhibition design.
- As a Design Consultant to CSL “Cochin Shipyard Ltd” he did the Interior accommodation onboard vessels :
- The ‘Maharishi Parshuram’ a 95000 Dwt Tanker for Shipping Corporation of India for spaces such as the navigation bridge, the captain and chief engineers cabin, crew cabins and Mess & recreation rooms. Complete space planning, décor scheme and customized furniture were designed by him.
- ATCO Tug Vessels for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia- Interior Décor & modular furniture onboard nine vessels were done by Prof. Rajan and the furniture was supervised and checked for design and quality at the CSL factory.
- Interior Accommodation for ‘Platform Service Vessel’ for Tebma Shipyards, Chennai.
- Design Consultant to “Inspiration Architects & Engineers” Cochin (www.inspire-india.com) Rajan worked on several residential interiors, offices, hotel and resort interiors. To name a few:
- Cottage Interiors and the Craft center of ‘SwaSwara – a CGH Earth Experience hotel at Om beach, Gokarna, Karnataka.
- Hotel Sarovaram of BTH Group near the backwaters at Vytilla in Cochin, Kerala.
- Restaurant Interiors of ‘The Sky Roca’ resort at Yercaud in Salem, Tamil Nadu.
- His “Cochin Chair” in tubular steel with a woven cane has sold more than 15000 pieces. Initially designed for the coffee shop at Hotel Sarovaram, it was put into production by Dovetail Furniture Pvt Ltd, Bangalore.
- As the lead designer at “Octanorm Vertriebs India Ltd in Chennai, he had the opportunity of visualizing the pavilion for Telco Motors in 1996 and 1998 at the ‘Auto Expo’ trade Fair in Pragati Maidan, Delhi.
- Visualized the "Videocon pavilion" at the IETF (India engineering trade Fair 1997) using powder coated Octanorm systems.
- Prof. Rajan’s furniture has been featured in the Design Matrix magazine Jan-Feb 2014 issue under the title “Seating Experiences at MITID.”
- After working in the industry for ten years and an equally long period practicing as a design consultant, Rajan took to teaching in the year 2009.
- He has always encouraged students to develop hands-on approach while developing concepts insisting that learners validate ideas by making models or prototypes to scale in the workshop. He has come up with innovative methods of teaching in order to bring out the creative potential of students.