Dr. Dhruv Kumar
Senior Associate Professor
- Ph.D., in Cellular, Molecular & Industrial Biology, Schools of Biotechnology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy, April 2012
- M.Sc. in Bioinformatics, Center of Bioinformatics, Institute of Interdisciplinary Sciences (IIDS), University of Allahabad, Prayagraj, India, Aug 2008
- B.Sc., in Chemistry, Institute of Sciences, Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi, India, June 2006
Area of Specialization:
Translational Cancer Research, Cancer Stem Cell, Cancer Cell Metabolism, Tumor Microenvironment, Tumor Heterogeneity, Autophagy, Exosomes, Genome Editing, NGS Data Analysis and Bioinformatics
Career Graph :
- Ph.D. Degree awarded in 2012 by the University of Bologna, Italy under highly prestigious fellowship of Ministry of Higher Education (Indo-Italian Government Fellowship) from Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
- Postdoctoral Training from the School of Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, United States (~ 5 years)
- More than 13.5 years of teaching and research experience
- Senior Associate Professor: School of Health Sciences, UPES, Dehradun, UK, India, 06/2022 – Present
- Professor: Amity Institute of Molecular Medicine & Stem Cell Research, Amity University Uttar Pradesh, Noida, India, 01/2021 – 06/2022
- Associate Professor: Amity Institute of Molecular Medicine & Stem Cell Research, Amity University Uttar Pradesh, Noida, India, 07/2019 - 12/2020
- Assistant Professor: Amity Institute of Molecular Medicine & Stem Cell Research, Amity University Uttar Pradesh, Noida, India, 04/2017 - 06/2021
- Assistant Professor (Senior Grade) Postdoctoral Fellow: SRM University, Sonepat, Haryana, India,08/2016 - 04/2017
- Assistant Professor (Senior Grade) Postdoctoral Fellow: School of Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, USA,03/2012 - 06/2016
- Jha NK, Arfin S, Jha SK, Kar R, Dey A, Gundamaraju R, Ashraf GM, Gupta PK, Dhanasekaran S, Abomughaid MM, Das SS, Singh SK, Dua K, Roychoudhury S, Kumar D, Ruokolainen J, Ojha S, Kesari KK. Re-establishing the comprehension of phytomedicine and nanomedicine in inflammation-mediated cancer signaling. Semin Cancer Biol. 2022 Feb 23: S1044-579X(22)00049-9. PMID: 35218902. (Impact Factor: 17.0)
- Raj S, Kesari KK, Kumar A, Rathi B, Sharma A, Gupta PK, Jha SK, Jha NK, Slama P, Roychoudhury S, Kumar D. Molecular mechanism(s) of regulation(s) of c-MET/HGF signaling in head and neck cancer. Mol Cancer. 2022 Jan 26;21(1):31. PMID: 35081970; PMCID: PMC8790852. (Impact Factor: 41.4)
- Kumar A, Rahman MS, Ali M, Salaun P, Gourain A, Kumar S, Kumar R, Niraj PK, Kumar M, Kumar D, Bishwapriya A, Singh S, Murti K, Dhingra S, Sakamoto M, Ghosh AK. Assessment of disease burden in the arsenic exposed population of Chapar village of Samastipur district, Bihar, India, and related mitigation initiative. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2022 Apr;29(18):27443-27459. PMID: 34982385. (Impact Factor: 5.1)
- Sharma A, Kumar D, Dahiya K, Hawthorne S, Jha SK, Jha NK, Nand P, Girgis S, Raj S, Srivastava R, Goswami VK, Gregoriou Y, El-Zahaby SA, Ojha S, Dureja H, Gupta G, Singh S, Chellappan DK, Dua K. Advances in pulmonary drug delivery targeting microbial biofilms in respiratory diseases. Nanomedicine (Lond). 2021 Sep;16(21):1905-1923. PMID: 34348474. (Impact Factor: 6.0)
- Chandel V, Maru S, Kumar A, Kumar A, Sharma A, Rathi B, Kumar D. Role of monocarboxylate transporters in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Life Sci. 2021 Aug 15;279:119709. PMID: 34102188. (Impact Factor: 6.7)
- Chandel V, Tripathi G, Nayar SA, Rathi B, Kumar A, Kumar D. In silico identification and validation of triarylchromones as potential inhibitor against main protease of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2021 May 3:1-16. PMID: 33939590; PMCID: PMC8108196. (Impact Factor: 3.3)
- Arfin S, Jha NK, Jha SK, Kesari KK, Ruokolainen J, Roychoudhury S, Rathi B, Kumar D. Oxidative Stress in Cancer Cell Metabolism. Antioxidants (Basel). 2021 Apr 22;10(5):642. PMID: 33922139; PMCID: PMC8143540. (Impact Factor: 7.6)
- Kumar A, Ali M, Kumar R, Kumar M, Sagar P, Pandey RK, Akhouri V, Kumar V, Anand G, Niraj PK, Rani R, Kumar S, Kumar D, Bishwapriya A, Ghosh AK. Arsenic exposure in Indo Gangetic plains of Bihar causing increased cancer risk. Sci Rep. 2021 Jan 27;11(1):2376. PMID: 33504854; PMCID: PMC7841152. (Impact Factor: 4.9)
- Roychoudhury S, Das A, Jha NK, Kesari KK, Roychoudhury S, Jha SK, Kosgi R, Choudhury AP, Lukac N, Madhu NR, Kumar D, Slama P. Viral pathogenesis of SARS-CoV-2 infection and male reproductive health. Open Biol. 2021 Jan;11(1):200347. PMID: 33465325; PMCID: PMC7881178. (Impact Factor: 7.1)
- Chandel V, Sharma PP, Raj S, Choudhari R, Rathi B, Kumar D. Structure-based drug repurposing for targeting Nsp9 replicase and spike proteins of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2022 Jan;40(1):249-262. PMID: 32838660; PMCID: PMC7484568. (Impact Factor: 3.3)
- Raj S, Chandel V, Kumar A, Kesari KK, Asthana S, Ruokolainen J, Kamal MA, Kumar D. Molecular mechanisms of interplay between autophagy and metabolism in cancer. Life Sci. 2020 Oct 15;259:118184. PMID: 32763290. (Impact Factor: 6.7)
- Raj S, Khurana S, Choudhari R, Kesari KK, Kamal MA, Garg N, Ruokolainen J, Das BC, Kumar D. Specific targeting cancer cells with nanoparticles and drug delivery in cancer therapy. Semin Cancer Biol. 2021 Feb;69:166-177. PMID: 31715247. (Impact Factor: 17.0)
- Vishwakarma V, New J, Kumar D, Snyder V, Arnold L, Nissen E, Hu Q, Cheng N, Miller D, Thomas AR, Shnayder Y, Kakarala K, Tsue TT, Girod DA, Thomas SM. Potent Antitumor Effects of a Combination of Three Nutraceutical Compounds. Sci Rep. 2018 Aug 15;8(1):12163. PMID: 30111862; PMCID: PMC6093880. (Impact Factor: 4.9)
- Kumar D, New J, Vishwakarma V, Joshi R, Enders J, Lin F, Dasari S, Gutierrez WR, Leef G, Ponnurangam S, Chavan H, Ganaden L, Thornton MM, Dai H, Tawfik O, Straub J, Shnayder Y, Kakarala K, Tsue TT, Girod DA, Van Houten B, Anant S, Krishnamurthy P, Thomas SM. Cancer-Associated Fibroblasts Drive Glycolysis in a Targetable Signaling Loop Implicated in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Progression. Cancer Res. 2018 Jul 15;78(14):3769-3782. PMID: 29769197; PMCID: PMC6050074.(Impact Factor: 13.3)
- Ledgerwood LG, Kumar D, Eterovic AK, Wick J, Chen K, Zhao H, Tazi L, Manna P, Kerley S, Joshi R, Wang L, Chiosea SI, Garnett JD, Tsue TT, Chien J, Mills GB, Grandis JR, Thomas SM. The degree of intratumor mutational heterogeneity varies by primary tumor sub-site. Oncotarget. 2016 May 10;7(19):27185-98. PMID: 27034009; PMCID: PMC5053641. (Impact Factor: 3.3)
- Kumar D, Kandl C, Hamilton CD, Shnayder Y, Tsue TT, Kakarala K, Ledgerwood L, Sun XS, Huang HJ, Girod D, Thomas SM. Mitigation of Tumor-Associated Fibroblast-Facilitated Head and Neck Cancer Progression With Anti-Hepatocyte Growth Factor Antibody Ficlatuzumab. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Dec;141(12):1133-9. PMID: 26540318; PMCID: PMC4815928. (Impact Factor: 8.9)
- Plotegher N, Kumar D, Tessari I, Brucale M, Munari F, Tosatto L, Belluzzi E, Greggio E, Bisaglia M, Capaldi S, Aioanei D, Mammi S, Monaco HL, Samo B, Bubacco L. The chaperone-like protein 14-3-3η interacts with human α-synuclein aggregation intermediates rerouting the amyloidogenic pathway and reducing α-synuclein cellular toxicity. Hum Mol Genet. 2014 Nov 1;23(21):5615-29. PMID: 24895406. (Impact Factor: 5.1)
- Kumar D, Shankar S, Srivastava RK. Rottlerin induces autophagy and apoptosis in prostate cancer stem cells via PI3K/Akt/mTOR signaling pathway. Cancer Lett. 2014 Feb 28;343(2):179-89. PMID: 24125861. (Impact Factor: 9.7)
- Kumar D, Shankar S, Srivastava RK. Rottlerin-induced autophagy leads to the apoptosis in breast cancer stem cells: molecular mechanisms. Mol Cancer. 2013 Dec 23;12(1):171. PMID: 24359639; PMCID: PMC3914415. (Impact Factor: 41.4)
- Shankar S, Kumar D, Srivastava RK. Epigenetic modifications by dietary phytochemicals: implications for personalized nutrition. Pharmacol Ther. 2013 Apr;138(1):1-17. PMID: 23159372; PMCID: PMC4153856. (Impact Factor: 13.4)
Funded Research Projects (extra-mural)
- 2022-2025: “Analysis of the relationship between gallbladder cancer, arsenic intake, and living-environmental factors - a case in Bihar, India”, Indo-Japan, DST, GoI, New Delhi, Rs ~ 1 Crore (Co-PI)
- 2021-2024: “Repurposing of drugs and validation of lead compounds against main protease and RNA dependent RNA polymerase of SARS-CoV-2”, BRICS-DST, Rs 40 lakh (PI & Coordinator)
- 2020-2023: “Assessment of Female reproductive health and child health risks in Arsenic Exposed population of Bihar”, ICMR New Delhi, Rs ~ 1 Crore. (Co-PI)
- 2018-2021: “Understanding the Metabolic Cross-Talk between Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Tumor Associated Fibroblasts”, SERB-Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, Rs ~35 Lakhs. (PI)
- 2015-2016: “Role of Tumor-Associated Fibroblasts in Head and Neck Cancer Metabolism” National Institute of General Medical Sciences, National Institute of Health, USA (P20GM103418), $25,000. (PI)
- R. Tyagi, D. Kumar and V. S. Raj, 2018. "In silico identification of potential inhibitors against Mycobacterial proteasome," 2018 International Conference on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology (BSB), Allahabad, India, IEEE Xplore, pp. 193-197. (IF: 10.6)
- Shekhar Goyal, Surender Kr Beniwal, H S Kumar, Dhruv Kumar, B C Das. 2019. Role of Curcumin in reducing toxicity and adverse effects in locally advanced and metastatic breast cancer patients. Annals of Oncology. Volume 30, vi126 - vi127. (IF: 51)
- 2022: Temp/e1/6123/2022-del: A method for isolation of cancer associated fibroblast cells from hpv negative oral tumor
- 2021: Temp/e-1/34848/2021-del: A device for oral cancer early detection
- 2020: Temp/e1/20244/2020-del: Anti-viral herbal inhaler having Nano-Gold based herbal formulation
- Sibi Raj, Manish K. Mishra, Sitaram Harihar, Ashok Kumar, Shubhadeep Roychoudhury, Arun Kumar et al. (2022). Regulation of Glucose Transporters in Cancer Progression, Book, Free Radical Biology and Environmental Toxicity, Springer Nature.https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-83446-3_9
- Stephen James, Saniya Arfin, Manish K. Mishra, Arun Kumar, Niraj Kumar Jha, Saurabh Kumar Jha et al. (2022). Role of Arsenic in Carcinogenesis, Book, Free Radical Biology and Environmental Toxicity, Springer Nature. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-83446-3_7
- Raj S., Kumar A., Kumar D. (2020) Regulation of Glycolysis in Head and Neck Cancer, Book. Cancer Metabolomics, Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, Springer Nature. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-51652-9_15
- Chandel V., Kumar D. (2020) Role of Interferon in Cancer Metabolism. Innate Immunity in Health and Disease. IntechOpen. https://doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.92020
- Raj S, Chandel V., Maurya S, Kumar D. (2020) Role of Macrophages in Solid Tumor Metabolism. Macrophages. IntechOpen. https://doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.93182
- Maurya S, Chandel V, Raj S, (2020) OMICS IN CANCER: FROM DIAGNOSTICS TO THERAPEUTICS. Recent Trends in ‘Computational Omics'. ISBN: 978-1-53617-941-5
- Raj S., Chandel V., Kumar D. (2020) Cancer Cell Metabolism: Solid Tumor Versus Nonsolid Tumor. In: Kumar D. (eds) Cancer Cell Metabolism: A Potential Target for Cancer Therapy. Springer, Singapore: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-1991-8_1
- Pedroza D.A. et al. (2020) Role of Autophagy in Cancer Cell Metabolism. In: Kumar D. (eds) Cancer Cell Metabolism: A Potential Target for Cancer Therapy. Springer, Singapore: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-1991-8_6
- Chandel V., Raj S., Choudhari R., Kumar D. (2020) Role of c-Met/HGF Axis in Altered Cancer Metabolism. In: Kumar D. (eds) Cancer Cell Metabolism: A Potential Target for Cancer Therapy. Springer, Singapore: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-1991-8_7
- Kumar D., Sharma-Walia N., Kapoor S., Tandon S. (2020) Antibody-Targeted Nanoparticles for Cancer Treatment. In: Saxena S., Khurana S. (eds) NanoBioMedicine. Springer, Singapore: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-32-9898-9_3
- Singh B., Malhotra H., Kumar D., Mujtaba S.F., Upadhyay A.K. (2019) Understanding Cellular and Molecular Events of Skin Aging and Cancer: An Integrative Perspective. In: Dwivedi A., Agarwal N., Ray L., Tripathi A. (eds) Skin Aging & Cancer. Springer, Singapore: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-2541-0_2
- Tripathi M.K., Sinha J., Srivastava S.K., Kumar D. (2019) Bioinformatics in Skin Cancer: A System Biology Approach to Understanding the Molecular Mechanisms and It’s Regulations. In: Dwivedi A., Agarwal N., Ray L., Tripathi A. (eds) Skin Aging & Cancer. Springer, Singapore: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-2541-0_10
- Khurana S., Bose S., Kumar D. (2019) Applications of Microarray-Based Technologies in Identifying Disease-Associated Single Nucleotide Variations. In: Tripathi V., Kumar P., Tripathi P., Kishore A., Kamle M. (eds) Microbial Genomics in Sustainable Agroecosystems. Springer, Singapore: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-32-9860-6_4
- Singh P., Tiwari D., Mishra M., Kumar D. (2019) Molecular Mechanisms of Heavy Metal Toxicity in Cancer Progression. In: Kesari K. (eds) Networking of Mutagens in Environmental Toxicology. Environmental Science and Engineering. Springer, Cham: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-96511-6_3
- Chandel V., Seth G., Shukla P., Kumar D. (2019) Role of Radiation in DNA Damage and Radiation Induced Cancer. In: Kesari K. (eds) Networking of Mutagens in Environmental Toxicology. Environmental Science and Engineering. Springer, Cham: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-96511-6_1
- Dhruv Kumar, Sharmila Shankar, Rakesh Srivastava. Challenges in stem cells and translational research (Book chapter). Lost in translational and clinical research. World Scientific Publication, 2014. ISBN: 9789814489089. https://doi.org/10.1142/9789814489072_0020
- Dhruv kumar and Bruno Samori. Mechanochemistry: Coupling mechanical forces and chemical reactions (Book chapter). Molecular Manipulation with Atomic Force Microscopy (Book), CRC Press, 2011, ISBN: 9781439809662.
- Dwijendra Gupta, Dhruv Kumar, Manish Dwivedi, Vijay Tripathi, Pratibha Phadke-Gupta and Surya Pratap Singh. Nanophosphors-Nanogold immunoconjugates in Isolation of Biomembranes and in Drug Delivery (Book chapter). Recent Advances in Nanomedicine (Book), VBRI Press, 2011, ISBN: 9788192006803.
- Dhruv Kumar & Shailendera Asthana, Autophagy and Metabolism: Potential Target for Cancer Therapy, Aug 2022, Elsevier, ISBN: 9780323998796
- Akhileshwar Srivastava, Dhruv Kumar, Divya Singh, Rajesh Singh, Xenobiotics in Chemical Carcinogenesis:Translational Aspects in Toxicology, Mar 2022, Elsevier, ISBN: 9780323905602
- Dhruv kumar. Cancer Cell Metabolism: A Potential Target for Cancer Therapy. Springer Nature. 2020, ISBN: 9789811519901.
- Dhruv kumar, Marco Brucale and Bruno Samori. Amyloidogenic Proceses of Intrinsically Disordered Proteins: Understanding the Aggregation Process of Intrinsically Unstructured Proteins Related to Neurodegenerative Diseases. Lambert Academic Publishing, 2014, ISBN: 9783659592928.
- Dhruv kumar. Insilico analysis of Docking between HIV-1 PR and derivatives of CUI (Docking between HIV- 1 proteases and cyclic urea inhibitors: A step towards drug designing against AIDS). Lambert Academic Publishing, 2011, ISBN: 9783844384765.
Publications in Newspaper/Magazines:
- Kumar D & Raj S. STEM CELLS FOR CANCER THERAPY, Pharma Focus Asia Magazine, Issue 47. July 2022.
- Kumar D. The Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19): Need to Find Therapeutic Solutions, Knowledge Bank, Healthcare Articles, Asian Hospitals & Healthcare Managements, March, 2020.
- Kumar D. Coronavirus: Beyond Viral Fever and Pneumonia, The Science Age, March 07, 2020; 2(1):1-3.
- Kumar D. NANOBASED DRUG DELIVERY: Road towards cancer therapy management" Pharma Focus Asia Magazine, Feb 2020, Issue 38, p28-30.
- Kumar D, Gupta D.K. 2010. Insilico Analysis of Interaction between HIV-1 Proteases and derivatives of Cyclic Urea Inhibitor and its ADME Toxicity Properties. Biofrontiers, 1, 2.
- Why Indian institutes need to mandatorily include faculty mentoring programmes, TNN | Posted on Monday, January 06, 2020 (Education Times)
- Why Cancer Biology courses will boost student participation in better research and effective treatments, TNN | Posted on Monday, October 14, 2019 (Education Times)
- Translational Cancer Research: Journey from Autophagy to Metabolism, TSA Science and Scientists, November 2019; 1(1):1-6.
- Attending conferences for career development, KUMC, Kansas City, KS, USA, Postdoc Press-Mar-2016, Postdoc spotlight, KUMC, Kansas City, KS, USA, Postdoc Press-Dec-2015
UG/PG and Ph.D. students guided:
10 UG/PG projects, and Ph.D. (02-guided) (06-guiding) (as a guide)
Editorial Board Member:
- Associate Editor-BMC Cancer
- Guest Editor (Antioxidants-MDPI)
- Guest Editor (Genes-MDPI)
- Global Journal of Cancer Therapy
- Imaging Journal of Clinical and Medical Sciences
- Journal of Embryology & Stem Cell Research (JES)
- Chief Guest Editor (Libertas Academica-Cancer Informatics)
- Journal of Postdoctoral Research
- Journal of Fetal Surgery
- Oncology Reports and Reviews
- Annals of Cancer Science and Surgical Oncology (ACSS)
- Indian Society of Cell Biology (ISCB)-Life Member
- Indian Association for Cancer Research (IACR)-Life Member
- Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA-Life Member
- National Postdoc Association (NPA)-Life Member
- International Academy of Physical Sciences, Allahabad, India-Life Member
- The International NanoScience Community, Budapest, Hungary-Life Member
- Blue Planet Society, Allahabad, India-Life Member
- Parkinson’s Disease Online Research (Michael J. Fox Foundation)-Life Member
Honours And Achievements:
- 2020: Research Excellence Award, Institute of Scholars, India
- 2019: Senior Scientist Award, Society of Biomedical Laboratory Scientists, India
- 2017: Early Career Research Award, SERB, DST-India.
- 2016: Postdoc of the Month Award, PostDoc Journal: Journal of Postdoctoral Research, USA.
- 2016: Scholar-in-Training Award, AACR, The Function of Tumor Microenvironment in Cancer Progression Conference, San Diego, USA.
- 2015: K-INBRE Postdoctoral Award, National Institute of General MedicalSciences, National Institute of Health (NIH), USA.
- 2011: 8th EBSA European Biophysics Congress Bursaries Award, European Biophysical Societies Association, Italy.
- 2011: Young Scientist Award, International Academy of Physical Science, Allahabad, India.
- 2009: Brains in Competition Award, Institute of Advance Studies, University of Bologna, Italy.
- 2008: Indo-Italian Government Scholarship (Ministry of Human Resource and Development, India).
Cooking, To help the needy people