Dr. Utsab Debnath
Assistant Professor (Selection Grade)
Postdoc from Bose Institute, Kolkata, India
Ph.D. from Central Drug Research Institute Lucknow. Degree conferred by Faculty of Pharmacy, Integral University (IU), Lucknow, India
M.Pharm (Pharmaceutical Chemistry) from West Bengal University of Technology (WBUT), India.
B.Pharm from NSCB Institute of Pharmacy, West Bengal University of Technology (WBUT), India.
- Teaching experience: More than 5 years.
- Research experience: More than 12 years
- Multistep & multi component reaction (MCR) synthesis, purification, characterization and process development for small molecule inhibitors for different infectious diseases like HIV-1, Malaria etc. and cancer.
- Computer Aided Drug Design (CADD) for new biological targets and leads identification / optimization, Structure Activity Relationship (SAR) studies.
- Bera P, Aher A, Brandao P, Debnath U, Dewaker V, Manna SK, Jana A, Pramanik C, Mandal B, Bera P. Instigating the In Vitro Anticancer Activity of New Pyridine-Thiazole-Based Co(III), Mn(II), and Ni(II) Complexes: Synthesis, Structure, DFT, Docking, and MD Simulation Studies. J Chem Inf Model. 2022, 62(6):1437-1457.
- Debnath U, Verma S, Patra J, Mandal S K. A review on recent synthetic routes and computational approaches for antibody drug conjugation developments used in anti-cancer therapy, J Mol Stru. 1256, 2022,132524.
- Joardar N, Shit P, Halder S, Debnath U, Saha S, Misra AK, Jana K, Sinha Babu S.P. Disruption of redox homeostasis with synchronized activation of apoptosis highlights the antifilarial efficacy of novel piperine derivatives: an in vitro mechanistic approach. Free Radic. Biol. Med., 2021, 169: 343-360.
- Mandal, S., Debnath, U., Sarkar, J. Structural-Genetic Characterization of Novel Butaryl co-A Dehydrogenase and Proposition of Butanol Biosynthesis Pathway in Pusillimonas ginsengisoli SBSA. J Mol Evol. 2021, 89, 81–94.
- Islam K, Pal K, Debnath U, Sidick Basha R, Khan AT, Jana K, Misra AK. Anti-cancer potential of (1,2-dihydronaphtho[2,1-b]furan-2-yl)methanone derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2020, 30(20):127476.
- Debnath U, Dewaker, V, Prabhakar, Y S, Bhattacharyya P, Mandal A. Conformational Perturbation of SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein Using N-Acetyl Cysteine, a Molecular Scissor: A Probable Strategy to Combat COVID-19. ChemRxiv. Preprint. 2020, https://doi.org/10.26434/chemrxiv.12687923.v1
- Bhaumik I, Pal K, Debnath U, Jana K, Misra A. K.; Natural product inspired Allicin analogs a novel anti-cancer agents. Bio. Org. Chem. 2019, 86: 259-272.
- Debnath U, Mukherjee S, Joardar N, Jana K, Sinha Babu S.P., Misra A. K.; Aryl quinolinyl hyadrazone derivatives as anti-inflammatory agents that inhibit TLR4 activation in the macrophages. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2019, 134:102-115.
- Kondaparla S*, Debnath U*, Soni A, Dola V, Sinha M, Srivastava K, Puri S, and Katti S. B. Katti; Synthesis, Biological Evaluation and Molecular Modeling Studies of Chiral Chloroquine Analogues as Antimalarial Agents. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018, 62(12): e02347-17 (* equal contribution)
- Kamil R. F., Debnath U., Verma S., Prabhakar Y.S.; Identification of adjacent NNRTI binding pocket in multi-mutated HIV1-RT Enzyme Model, An in-silico study. Curr HIV Res. 2018; 16(2): 121-129.
- Das N, Bhattacharya A, Kumar Mandal S, Debnath U, Dinda B, Mandal S C, Kumar Sinhamahapatra P, Kumar A, Dutta Choudhury M, Maiti S, Palit P. Ichnocarpus frutescens (L.) R. Br. root derived phyto-steroids defends inflammation and algesia by pulling down the pro-inflammatory and nociceptive pain mediators: An in-vitro and in-vivo appraisal. Steroids. 2018; (139): 18-27.
- Pyne P, Alam M, Rameez MJ, Mandal S, Sar A, Mondal N, Debnath U, Mathew B, Misra A K,Mandal AK, Ghosh W; Homologs from sulfur oxidation (Sox) and methanol dehydrogenation (Xox) enzyme systems collaborate to give rise to a novel pathway of chemolithotrophic tetrathionate oxidation. Mol Microbiol. 2018; 109(2): 169-191.
- Debnath U, Singh P, Gupta S K, Katti S.B.; N-hydroxy substituted 2-aryl acetamide analogues:new class of integrase inhibitors. Chem Biol Drug Des. 2017; 90(4):527-534.
- Deshpande S, Shivahare R, Debnath U, Sane S. A., Srivastava K, Haq W., Puri S. K., Gupta S, Katti S. B.; Synthesis, Antileishmanial and Antiplasmodial Activity of 7-trifluromethyl Substituted 4-Aminoquinoline Derivatives. The natural products journal. 2017, 7(2): 137-143.
- Saxena R, Gupta G, Manohar M, Debnath U, Popli P, Prabhakar Y.S., Konwar R, Kumar S, Kumar A, Dwivedi A; Spiro-oxindole derivative 5-chloro-4',5'-diphenyl-3'-(4-(2-(piperidin-1-yl) ethoxy) benzoyl) spiro[indoline-3,2'-pyrrolidin]-2-one triggers apoptosis in breast cancer cells via restoration of p53 function. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2016, 70:105-17.
- Kushwaha R N, Debnath U, Singh P, Saxena R, Gupta S K, Tripathi R K, Siddiqui H H, Katti S. B.; New Piperazine-Derived NNRTIs as Anti-HIV Agent: Synthesis, Biological Evaluation and Molecular Docking Studies. Indo American Journal of Pharm Research, 2015: 5(01).
- Debnath U, Verma S, Singh P, Rawat K, Gupta S K, Tripathi R K, Siddiqui H H, Katti S. B., Prabhakar Y. S.; Synthesis, Biological Evaluation and Molecular Modeling studies of New 2,3-diheteroaryl thiazolidin-4-ones as NNRTIs. Chem Biol Drug Des. 2015. 86(5): 1285-91.
- Verma S, Debnath U, Agarwal P, Srivastava K, Prabhakar Y. S. In Silico Exploration for New Antimalarials: Arylsulfonyloxy Acetimidamides as Prospective Agents. J Chem Inf Model. 2015, 55(8):1708-19.
- Debnath U, Verma S, Jain S, Katti SB, Prabhakar YS; Pyridones as NNRTIs against HIV-1 mutants: 3D-QSAR and protein informatics; J Comput Aided Mol Des. 2013, 27(7): 637-54.
- Debnath U, Katti S. B, Prabhakar Y. S.; Graph Theory Concepts in the Rationales of Anti HIV-1 Compounds; Curr Comput Aided Drug Des. 2013 Dec; 9(4):472-81.
- Saxena R, Chandra V, Manohar M, Hajela K, Debnath U, Prabhakar YS, Saini KS, Konwar R, Kumar S, Megu K, Roy BG, Dwivedi A; Chemotherapeutic Potential of 2-[Piperidinoethoxyphenyl]-3-Phenyl-2H-Benzo(b)pyran in Estrogen Receptor- Negative Breast Cancer Cells: Action via Prevention of EGFR Activation and Combined Inhibition of PI-3-K/Akt/FOXO and MEK/Erk/AP-1 Pathways; PLoS One. 2013 19, 8(6): e66246. Print 2013.
- Chauhan K, Sharma M, Shivahare R, Debnath U, Gupta S, Prabhakar YS, Chauhan PM.; Discovery of Triazine Mimetics as Potent Antileishmanial Agents; ACS Med. Chem.Lett., 2013,4(11),1108-13.
- 31/4(1081)/2011-EMR-I: Design, Synthesis and evaluation of 2,3-diaryl-1,3-thiazolidinones variants as novel anti-HIV-1 RT agents. Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi (India). (Year 2011 to 2015)
- PDF/2017/001782: Design, Synthesis and Biological evaluations of new Podophyllotoxin analogues as anti-cancer agents: Exploration of diverse mechanism of actions. Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), New Delhi (India). (Year 2017 to 2019).
Ph.D.s guided: 01
- Debnath U, Katti S. B.; Recent Developments in HIV-1 Integrase Inhibitors; Advances in Studies on Enzyme inhibitors, Volume 1: Anticancer and Antiviral Drugs; Nova science publishers; NY, USA. 2017 Jan, pp 287-312. (ISBN: 978-1-53610-9) (ebook)
West Bengal State Pharmacy Council- Registered Pharmacist
Honours and Achievements:
- A total > 12 years of research experience in drug research and development after M.Pharm.
- Have published twenty-three original research/review articles and one book chapters in international reputed scientific publications.
- Citation Index (H-index = 9, i-10 index = 9). (https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=fOGSjYIAAAAJ&hl=en)
- Awarded “National Postdoctoral Fellowship” under the “Young Scientist Scheme” of Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), New Delhi in 2017 for a period of two years to carry research work on the development of new anti-cancer agents.
- Awarded “Direct Senior Research Fellowship” from Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) New Delhi in 2011 for a period of four years to carry research work on design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of anti HIV-1 agents.
- Successfully qualified GPAT-2010 conducted by AICTE.
- Research guidance to M.Pharma students during PhD tenure.
- Supervising PhD students.
Painting and playing cricket.