23-24 Feb, 2020
Start-up Grand Challenge 2020
- With a view to create awareness about the start-up ecosystem and to identify entrepreneurs whose ideas can be translated into a successful business venture, the Uttarakhand government organised a two-day ‘Startup Boot Camp’ in selected educational institutions across the state. These two-day workshops were a great opportunity for the students to learn and understand the nuances of entrepreneurship and will help potential students, innovators and start-ups to mould themselves toward the journey of entrepreneurship. The selected ideas from each boot camp then had an opportunity to pitch their ideas at the ‘Grand Challenge 2020’ and a chance to get pre-incubation support from the incubator recognised by the state government for a period of six months.
- Over a period of two days, the selected participants got a chance to not only pitch their ideas in front of the judges, but also got a chance to attend various workshops aimed towards helping them scale up their enterprises.
- Over a 100 delegates registered to be a part of all the informative workshops. Those present were greeted by a welcome address from Dr. Ajit Kumar Nigam, Associate Dean, UPES Council for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (UCIE), which was followed by a special address by Mr. S.C. Nautiyal, Director, Industries Directorate of Industries Government of Uttarakhand.
- The day also marked the launch of the Dehradun Chapter of Headstart Network Foundation which is one of India's oldest and largest start-up ecosystem development organisations. Mr. Rajendra Kumar, Deputy Director, Directorate of Industries, Government of Uttarakhand, proposed the vote of thanks.
- The second day began with the final pitching session in full form with participants from all over Uttarakhand vying to get an opportunity to be in the top 10 and get the necessary funding.
- After an extensive discussion between the various jury members, the top 10 teams were selected to be declared as the winners of Grand Challenge 2020. The event was concluded after various addresses from dignitaries such as Dr. Sunil Rai, Vice-Chancellor, University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Dehradun; Mr. Sanjay Randhar, Managing Director, GVFL Ltd; Mr. Hari Balasubramanian, Angel Investor & Mentor Advisor, Ivy Cap Ventures Private Ltd; Mr. Sudhir Singh, Partner and Leader, PwC Digital; Mr. Amit Sinha, IPS Director, ITDA Government of Uttarakhand; Ms. Manisha Panwar, IAS Principal Secretary, MSME Government of Uttarakhand; Mr. Sahadev Pundir, MLA, Sahaspur; and Mr. Satpal Maharaj, Minister of Tourism, Government of Uttarakhand.