B.Des. (Interior and Retail Spaces Design)
The Bachelor of Design (Interior Design & Retail Space Design) program offered by UPES is designed to equip design enthusiasts and learners with the skills and knowledge required to design various experiential spaces. The course covers a wide range of interior design aspects, including residential spaces, commercial spaces, specialty interiors, and hospitality spaces.
The Bachelor of Design (Interior Design & Retail Space Design) program goes beyond traditional interior design and also focuses on spaces that incorporate "communication content," such as retail store brand experience spaces, visual merchandising, and commercial set design. By integrating elements from architecture, product design, technology, graphics, and theatre, the course offers a multidisciplinary approach to interior and retail space design.
Throughout the program, students receive a step-by-step learning experience that allows them to develop a comprehensive understanding of interior design. The curriculum emphasizes hands-on learning, enabling students to transform their ideas into tangible concepts. Creativity workshops and opportunities for learning outside the classroom are encouraged to foster innovation and broaden students' perspectives.
- Bachelor of Design (Interior Design & Retail Space Design) students gain practical experience through fully equipped workshops, allowing them to understand materials' properties and bring their ideas to life with scale models and prototypes.
- Access to computer labs and Cintiq lab enables students to utilize CAD models and renderings for presentations and working drawings, emphasizing the importance of digital tools in the field.
- Students are encouraged to participate in a semester exchange program with a partner university, broadening their perspectives and enhancing their skills.
- The interior design faculties have industry experience, having worked as designers before dedicating themselves to teaching, ensuring valuable insights and industry connections.
- Students actively engage in real projects, both in classroom assignments and during their final year, receiving feedback from clients and gaining practical experience.
- Students have the chance to collaborate with design studios, furniture manufacturers, interior design firms, and architecture firms, and entrepreneurial students can explore start-up ventures or freelancing opportunities.
Future Scope / Industry Trends
The future scope of the Bachelor of Design (Interior Design & Retail Space Design) program is promising due to the expanding construction sector and the increasing adoption of cost-effective interior designing solutions in both commercial and residential complexes. This trend aims to enhance aesthetics and maximize space efficiency. The interior design market in India has witnessed substantial growth, reaching a size of US$ 28.6 billion in 2022. Predictions by IMARC Group indicate that the market will further expand to US$ 51.4 billion by 2028. The field also presents new career opportunities, including visual merchandisers, store designers, set designers, and retail designers who specialize in integrating online retail presence with traditional brick-and-mortar stores.
The field of interior design offers diverse career opportunities for Bachelor of Design (Interior Design & Retail Space Design) graduates. In India's growing population and expensive housing market, the demand for interior design is on the rise. Interior designers have the chance to create captivating spaces even in compact homes. The industry is expanding rapidly, providing ample job prospects in various sectors. In architecture, firms collaborate with or hire interior designers to optimize space utilization and create desired aesthetics. Retail industry growth requires skilled designers who can design well-planned and efficient retail environments. Interior design firms employ specialized designers to cater to corporate and individual clients. Skilled interior designers are also needed in the construction, entertainment, event management, and education sectors. Additionally, there are collaboration opportunities with esteemed architects on luxurious residential projects.
Listed below are the potential professional paths available to students in the field of Interior Design & Retail Space Design that they may choose to pursue.
- Retail Merchandiser
- Interior Designer
- Interior Design Assistant
- Interior Decorator
- Project Manager
- Kitchen & Bath Designer
The Bachelor of Design (Interior Design & Retail Space Design) program has attracted renowned recruiters such as Design Crew, Matrix, Elephant Design, Retail Detail, Godrej Interio, Spacewood, Durian Furniture, IKEA, and Pepperfry. These key recruiters provide excellent placement opportunities for graduates. The average annual salary for placements in this program is Rs. 3.50 Lakhs per annum.
Click here for detailed Fee Structure.
The minimum eligibility criteria for Bachelor of Design (Interior Design & Retail Space Design) to be fulfilled by interested students is as follows: Minimum 50% marks in class X and XII (any stream).
The process of selection criteria for students interested in pursuing Bachelor of Design (Interior Design & Retail Space Design) offered by UPES is based on the individual's performance in National Level (NID/NIFT/UCEED/JEE) / UPESDAT / Board Merit/ CUET followed by Portfolio Presentation & Interview.
Design Thursdays: Future of Retail and Interior Space Design