B.Tech Biotechnology - GENOMICS & BIOSIMILARS
The B.Tech. Biotechnology (Genomics & Biosimilars) program offered by UPES School of Health Sciences & Technology is a specialized course aimed at equipping students with comprehensive expertise and practical competencies in the areas of genomics and biosimilar development. The curriculum is designed to provide students with an in-depth understanding of cutting-edge techniques and technologies in these fields.
Throughout the program, students will have the opportunity to choose from a range of Program Electives (PE) that cater to specific aspects of genomics and biosimilars. In the sixth semester, students can opt for the gene expression and transgenic (PE-1) elective, where they will delve into the intricacies of gene expression and explore the applications of transgenic technologies. Moving forward to the seventh semester, the genome editing (PE-2) elective allows students to explore the revolutionary field of genome editing, understanding how genetic material can be modified and utilized for various purposes. In the eighth semester, students have a selection of electives, including tissue engineering, analytical techniques for biosimilar, and precision wellness and medicine (PE-3, PE-4, and PE-5, respectively). These electives cover crucial areas such as tissue engineering, advanced analytical methods for biosimilar development, and the integration of precision medicine and wellness approaches in healthcare.
Overall, the B.Tech. Biotechnology (Genomics & Biosimilars) program provides a comprehensive and specialized education that empowers students to be at the forefront of advancements in genomics and biosimilar development. Through a combination of theoretical knowledge and hands-on practical training, graduates will be well-prepared to make significant contributions in the field of biotechnology, particularly in the domains of genomics and biosimilars.
- The B.Tech. Biotechnology (Genomics & Biosimilars) program provides a thorough grasp of genomic technologies and their applications in medical research, along with an in-depth exploration of the emerging field of biosimilars in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Students have access to state-of-the-art biotechnology instruments and technologies in our academic biotechnology lab, including real-time PCR, thermocyclers, electrophoresis systems, and more, enabling precise and efficient experimentation.
- Our lab offers dedicated areas for molecular biology, protein analysis, cell culture, genomics, and bioinformatics, ensuring an optimal environment for specific research needs and fostering interdisciplinary collaboration.
- We promote collaboration among students from different scientific disciplines, providing shared meeting spaces and collaborative workstations, driving innovation and idea exchange.
- Our lab adheres to strict biosafety protocols, maintaining a controlled environment with advanced safety features, ensuring the well-being of students and the integrity of their experiments.
- Experienced staff offer guidance on instrument operation, experimental design, data analysis, and troubleshooting through workshops, seminars, and hands-on training, empowering students to excel in their research endeavors.
Future Scope / Industry Trends
The future scope of the B.Tech. Biotechnology (Genomics & Biosimilars) program is promising, with significant potential in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. Genomics, which involves studying an organism's entire DNA sequence, has wide-ranging applications in healthcare, agriculture, drug discovery, and personalized medicine. The field is characterized by trends such as advancements in sequencing technologies, large-scale genomic studies, precision medicine, cancer genomics, and genome editing with CRISPR-Cas9. Biosimilars, on the other hand, are biological products highly similar to approved reference biologics, offering cost-effective alternatives for treating chronic and complex diseases. The scope of biosimilars includes affordable access to biologics, market growth, evolving therapeutic areas, and the establishment of regulatory pathways for approvals. Both genomics and biosimilars are dynamic fields with ongoing trends, such as the development of complex biosimilars, global market expansion, biosimilar interchangeability, and increased collaboration between biotech companies and pharmaceutical giants.
Completing the B.Tech. Biotechnology (Genomics & Biosimilars) program at UPES School of Health Sciences & Technology opens up a plethora of promising career opportunities in the cutting-edge field of biotechnology. Graduates can pursue roles in genomics research, working on advanced gene sequencing projects, personalized medicine, and genetic diagnostics. Additionally, opportunities abound in the biosimilars industry, where they can contribute to the development, production, and quality assurance of cost-effective biological therapeutics. With a strong foundation in genomics and biosimilars, graduates can also explore careers in pharmaceutical companies, biotech startups, academic research institutions, and government organizations, playing a vital role in revolutionizing healthcare and contributing to scientific breakthroughs.
The placements of the B.Tech. Biotechnology (Genomics & Biosimilars) program at UPES School of Health Sciences & Technology are highly commendable. With a strong focus on industry-oriented training and cutting-edge research, graduates from this program are well-equipped to meet the demands of the biotechnology sector. The university's extensive network of industry collaborations and dedicated placement cell ensure that students have access to excellent opportunities. Many leading biotech companies and research organizations actively recruit from UPES, offering roles in genetic engineering, pharmaceuticals, biopharmaceuticals, and more. The consistently high placement record reflects the program's success in producing skilled professionals ready to make significant contributions to the field of biotechnology.
Click here for detailed Fee Structure.
Interested students must meet the minimum eligibility criteria for B.Tech. Biotechnology (Genomics & Biosimilars), which are as follows: Minimum 50% Marks at X & XII with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Math’s, and English as a Major Subject in XII.
Admission to the B.Tech. Biotechnology (Genomics & Biosimilars) program offered by UPES School of Health Sciences & Technology depends on the candidate's individual performance in UPESEAT / JEE Mains / Board Merit / SAT/CUET.