Dr. Amit Awasthi
Assistant Professor (SG)
Doctorate of Philosophy (Study of human respiratory functions in relation to crop residue burning) from Thapar University, Patiala in 2011.
M.Sc. (Physics); 72.26% from Punjabi University, Patiala in 2006.
B.Sc. (Physics); 76.29% from Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla in 2004.
- Assistant Professor (SG) (Physics); UPES, Dehradun, UK: Jul 2020 to present:
- Assistant Professor (SS) (Physics); UPES, Dehradun, UK: Jul 2016 to June 2020
- Assistant Professor (Physics); GTB Dasuya, Affiliated to Panjab University, Chandigarh: Aug 2014-Jul 2016
- Assistant Professor (Physics); SLIET, Deemed to be a University, Sangrur: Sep 2013-Jun 2014
- Post doc fellow; Institute of Environmental Engineering, NCTU, Hsinchu, Taiwan: Sep 2011-July 2013:
- Project Assistant Level-III; Radio and Atmospheric Sciences divison, NPL, New Delhi: Dec 2010-Sep 2011:
- Junior Research Fellow; Thapar University, Patiala: Aug 2006-Jun 2010
No. Papers published in journals: 30
No. of Books: 5
No. Papers presented in conferences: 21
No. Citations: 870
Offering Research experience in the area of Atmospheric / Environment Sciences, Air Monitoring and Exposure Studies, Climate Change, extreme events like heat wave, etc. Aerosol Physics, Aerosol Technology and Measurements, Aerosol Physical Properties
JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS (SCOPUS/ SCI Index):
Total Impact Factor~65; Citations: 870, h-index 14 (Google Scholar) https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=ZPSNcBEAAAAJ
- Amit Awasthi, K Vishwakarma, KC Pattnayak (2021). Retrospection of heatwave and heat index. Theoretical and applied Climatology.
- Kulwinder Singh; Manjot Kaur, Ishant Chahaun, Hardilraj Singh, Amit Awasthi; Manjeet Kumar, Anup Thakur; Kumar; Akshay Kumar(2021). Effect of amonia gas on electrical properties of boron nitride/nickel oxide (BN80/NiO20) nanocomposite. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics.
- Prabhjot Kaur, Amit Awasthi, Anchit Bijajalwan (2021). Evaluation of feature selection techniques on network traffic for comparing model accuracy. International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering, 24(3), 228-243.
- Amit Awasthi, Aditi Sharma, P Kaur, B Gugamsetty, A Kumar (2020). Statistical interpretation of environmental influencing parameters on COVID-19 during the lockdown in Delhi, India Environment, development and sustainability, 1-14.
- Kulwinder Singh; Manjot Kaur, Ishant Chahaun, Amit Awasthi; Anup Thakur; Kumar; Akshay Kumar(2020). BN/NiO nanocomposites: Structural, defect chemistry and electrical properties in hydrogen gas atmosphere. Ceramic International, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2020.07.084.
- Kulbir Singh, Anup Thankur, Amit Awasthi, Aksahy Kumar (2020)Structural, morphological and temperature-dependent electrical properties of BN/NiO nanocomposites, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 1-9.
- Amit Awasthi, Mamta Bansal, Prabhjot Kaur, Nirankar Singh (2020). Systematic assessment on extreme heat events and its impact on health. Int J of Emerging Technologies, 11(3), 1088-1093.
- Navjot Hothi, Amit Awasthi, Shuchi Bisht (2019). A Perspective Interrogation of Students‟ Epistemological Beliefs And Anticipations of Studying Physics as an Introductory Course in Computer Science Engineering International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE),8(12). 2100-2108
- Nirankar Singh,, Susheel Mittal, Ravinder Agarwal,, Prabhat K Gupta, Amit Awasthi* (2019) Toxic emissions of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons [Py and B(k)F] in ambient air due to CRB activities at rural and commercial locations in Patiala, India.Materials Today: Proceedings 17, 51–60.
- Prabhjot Kaur, Anchit Bijalwan, Amit Awasthi (2018). Adhesive Model for Collection and Auto Storage of Colossal Health Data for Epidemiological Studies. IEEE, 2018 International Conference on Research in Intelligent and Computing in Engineering (RICE) 1-6.
- Prabhjot Kaur, Anchit Bijalwan, R.C. Joshi, Amit Awasthi (2018). Network Forensic Process Model and Framework: An Alternative Scenario. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing 624, 493-502. IF: 0.40, ISSN: 2194-5357.Network traffic classification using multiclass classifier’International Conference on Advances in Computing and Data Sciences, 208-217
- Amit Awasthi, Navjot Hothi, Prabhjot Kaur, Nirankar Singh, Monojit Chakraborty, Sangeeta Bansal (2017). Elucidative analysis and sequencing of two respiratory health monitoring methods to study the impact of varying atmospheric composition on human health. Atmospheric Environment 171, 32-37. IF: 3.6, ISSN:1352-2310.
- Nirankar Singh1, Susheel Mittal, Amit Awasthi, Ravinder Agarwal, Prabhat K Gupta (2017). Chemical Characterization of Atmospheric Particulate Matter for K, Cu, Ni and Zn Metals Collected from Agricultural, Semi-Urban and Commercial Locations in NW India. Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry 4, 197-204. IF: 0.35, ISSN: 2380-2391.
- Chun Nan Liu, S-F. Lin, Amit Awasthi, Chuen-Jinn Tsai, Y.C., Wu, C.F., Chen (2014). Sampling and conditioning artefacts of PM2.5 in filter-based samplers. Atmospheric Environment 85, 48-53. IF: 3.3, ISSN: 1352-2310.
- Ravinder Agarwal, Amit Awasthi, Nirankar Singh, Prabhat K Gupta and Susheel K Mittal (2014). Statistical model to study the effect of agriculture crop residue burning on healthy subjects pfts. MAPAN 109, 57-65. IF: 0.48, ISSN: 0974-9853.
- N Singh, S Mittal, R Singh, R Agarwal, Amit Awasthi, PK Gupta (2013). Potassium as a Marker in Air Particulate Matter After Crop Residue Burning Events in Patiala, India. Chitkara Chemistry Review 1(2) pp. 47–58
- Amit Awasthi, Bo-Sen Wu, Chun Nan Liu, Chun-Wan Chen, Chuen-Jinn Tsai (2013). The Effect of Nanoparticle Morphology on the Measurement Accuracy of Mobility Particle Sizers. MAPAN. 28, 205-215. IF: 0.48, IF: 0.48, ISSN: 0974-9853.
- Chun Nan Liu, Amit Awasthi, YI Hung Hung, Chuen-Jinn Tsai (2013). Differences in 24-h average PM2.5 concentrations between the beta attenuation monitor (BAM) and the dichotomous sampler (Dichot). Atmospheric Environment 75, 341-347. IF: 3.3, ISSN: 1352-2310.
- Chun Nan Liu, Amit Awasthi, YI Hung Hung, Chuen-Jinn Tsai (2013). Collection Efficiency and Interstage Loss of Nanoparticles in Micro-orifice-based Cascade Impactors. Atmospheric Environment 69, 325-333. IF: 3.3, ISSN: 1352-2310.
- Ravinder Agarwal, Amit Awasthi, Nirankar Singh, Prabhat K Gupta and Susheel K Mittal (2012). Effects of exposure to rice-crop residue burning smoke on pulmonary functions and Oxygen Saturation level of human beings in Patiala (India). Science of Total Environment 429, 161-166. IF: 4.1, ISSN: 0048-9697.
- Ravinder Agarwal, Amit Awasthi, Nirankar Singh, Prabhat K Gupta and Susheel K Mittal (2012). Epidemiological study on healthy subjects affected by agriculture crop-residue burning episodes and its relation with their pulmonary function tests. International Journal of Environmental Health Research 1, 1-15. IF:1.6, ISSN: 1369-1619.
- Balakrishnan Gugamsetty, Wei Han, Chun Nan Liu, Amit Awasthi, Chuen-Jinn Tsai, G.D., Roam, Y.C., Wu, C.F., Chen (2012). Source characterization and apportionment of PM10, PM2.5 and PM0.1 by using positive matrix factorization. Aerosol and Air Quality Research 12, 476-491. IF:2.1, ISSN: 2071-1409.
- Amit Awasthi, Ravinder Agarwal, Nirankar Singh, Prabhat K Gupta and Susheel K Mittal (2011). Study of size and mass distribution of particulate matter due to crop residue burning with seasonal variation in rural area of Punjab, India. Journal of Environment monitoring 13, 1073-1081. IF: 2.1, ISSN: 1464-0333.
- Amit Awasthi, Nirankar Singh, Susheel Mittal, Prabhat K Gupta and Ravinder Agarwal (2010). Effects of Agriculture Crop Residue Burning on Children and Young on PFTs in North WestIndia. Science of Total Environment 408, 4440-4445. IF: 4.1, ISSN: 0048-9697.
- Ravinder Agarwal, Amit Awasthi, Susheel Mittal, Nirankar Singh and Prabhat K. Gupta (2010). Effects of air pollution on respiratory parameters during the wheat-residue burning in Patiala. Journal of Medical Engineering & Technology 34, 23-28. ISSN: 0309-1902.
- Nirankar Singh, Susheel K Mittal, Ravinder Agarwal, Amit Awasthi and Prabhat Kumar Gupta (2010). Impact Assessment of Rice Crop Residue Burning on Levels of SPM, SO2 and NO2 in ambient air of Patiala city in India. International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry 90(10), 829-843. IF: 1.3, ISSN: 1029-0397.
- Nirankar Singh, Ravinder Agarwal, Amit Awasthi, Prabhat K Gupta and Susheel K Mittal (2010). Characterization of atmospheric aerosols for organic tarry matter and combustible matter during crop residue burning and non-crop residue burning months in North western region of India. Atmospheric Environment 44, 1292-1300. IF: 3.3, ISSN: 1352-2310.
- Susheel K Mittal, Nirankar Singh, Ravinder Agarwal, Amit Awasthi and Prabhat K Gupta (2009). Ambient air quality during wheat and rice crop stubble burning episodes. Atmospheric Environment 43, 238-244. IF: 3.3, ISSN: 1352-2310.
(B) Book Publications:
- M Chakraborty, S Bansal, R Masiwal, A Awasthi , (2019). Book Chapter :Air-Pollution Modelling Aspects: An Overview, Book Name: Air Pollution: Sources, Impacts and Controls
- Amit Awasthi (January 2016). Quantum Physics, Unistar Chandigarh-India, ISBN: 978-93-5113-7184.
- Amit Awasthi (November 2015). Electricity and Magnetism-II, Unistar Chandigarh-India, ISBN: 978-93-5113-7047.
- Amit Awasthi (July 2015). Electricity and Magnetism. Unistar Chandigarh- India, ISBN: 978-93-5113-6576.
- Amit Awasthi (January 2015). "Aerosol & Spirometric Measurements: Impact of crop residue burning; Size & Mass distribution of RSPM; its impact on respiratory parameters of healthy subjects due to crop residue burning" LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany, ISBN: 978-3-659-67029-9
(C) Papers/Abstract published in Conferences Proceeding (Selected):
- Prabhjot Kaur, Amit Awasthi, Abhishek Chauhan. Methodical Hindsight of Network Traffic for Invasion Detection. International Conference on Advanced Computing May 5, 2018. Teerthanker Mahaveer University, Uttar Pradesh.
- Prabhjot Kaur, Prashant Chaudhary, Abhishek Pathak, Anchit Bijalwan, Amit Awasthi. Network Traffic Classification Using Multiclass Classifier. International Conference on Advances in Computing and Data Sciences April 20 -21, 2018. Uttaranchal University, Dehradun.
- Amit Awasthi, Kirti Vishwakarma, Robin Singh, Rishi Diwan. Critical analysis on the development of a heat vulnerability index and heat wave definition. National Conference on Recent Inovation In Emerging Technology & Science April 6-7, 2018. JBIT, Dehradun.
- Prabhjot Kaur, Prashant Chaudhary, Amit Awasthi. Retrospective Analysis of anomalous Network traffic for Intrusion Detection. 12th Uttarakhand State Science and Technology Congress 2017-18 March 7-9, 2018. UCOST, Dehradun.
- Prabhjot Kaur, Anchit Bijalwan, R.C. Joshi, Amit Awasthi. Network Forensic Process Model and Framework: An Alternative Scenario. 2nd International Conference on Intelligent Communication, Control and Devices April 15-16, 2017. University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun.
- Amit Awasthi, Bo-Sen Wu, Neng-jiunTzeng, Chun-Nan Liu, Chuen-Jinn Tsai. Accuracy of nanoparticles size distribution measured by the Engine Exhaust Particle Sizer Spectrometer. 10th conference on Environmental Protection a Nanotechnology May 17, 2013. Hsinchu, Taiwan.
- Amit Awasthi, Chun-Nan Liu Balakrishnaiah Gugamsetty, Chuen-Jinn Tsai. Collection efficiency and interstage nanoparticle loss in MOUDI. International Humboldt Kolleg on Management of Water, Energy and Bio-resources in Changing Cliamate Regime: Emerging Issues and Environmental Challenges January 8-9, 2013, New Delhi, India.
- Amit Awasthi, Bo-Sen Wu, Balakrishnaiah Gugamsetty, Chun-Nan Liu, Chuen-Jinn Tsai, Chun-Wan Chen. Measurement of nanoparticles by mobility particle sizers. 2012 Joint Taiwan-India Workshop Nanotechnology: Environment, Health and Safety December 13-14, 2012, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Amit Awasthi, YI Hung Hung, Chun-Nan Liu, Balakrishnaiah Gugamsetty, Chuen-Jinn Tsai. Difference between the PM2.5 concentrations of Beta attenuation monitor (BAM) and Dichotomous sampler at Jhongshan, Taiwan. Nov 23-24 2012, Jongali.
- Amit Awasthi, Chun-Nan Liu, Balakrishnaiah Gugamsetty, Chuen-Jinn Tsai. Collection efficiency and interstage loss of nanoparticles in the MOUDI. Annual Conference of Environmental Analysis, May 4-5, 2012, Kaoshiung, Taiwan.
- Amit Awasthi, Chun-Nan Liu, Balakrishnaiah Gugamsetty, Chuen-Jinn Tsai. Difference between the PM2.5 concentrations of Beta attenuation monitor (BAM) and Dichotomous sampler at Sinjuhuan, Taiwan. International Conference on Aerosol Science &Technology, September 21–22, 2012, Taichung, Taiwan.
- Amit Awasthi, Nirankar Singh, Susheel Mittal and Prabhat K Gupta, Ravinder Agarwal, Effect on pulmonary functions on the healthy subjects during wheat residue burning in an d around Patiala city International Conference on Environmental Health and Technology, March 15-17, 2010, IIT, Kanpur.
- Nirankar Singh, Susheel Mittal, Amit Awasthi, Ravinder Agarwal, Prabhat K. Gupta. Comparison study of ignitable material in aerosol samples collected during crop residue burning and non-crop residue burning months, Advances in Chemical Engineering (AChemE 2009), February 27-28, 2009, TU, Patiala.
- Nirankar Singh, Susheel Mittal, Amit Awasthi, Ravinder Agarwal, Prabhat K. Gupta, Wheat residue burning practices and its impact on ambient air aerosol, SO2 and NO2 levels at two different locations in Patiala, Punjab, India, CETAS 2009, February 9-11, 2009, Guru Jambheshwar University, Hisar.
- Ravinder Agarwal, Prabhat Gupta, Amit Awasthi, Nirankar Singh and Susheel Mittal, Study of human respiratory functions in relation to wheat- residue burning, International Congress of Environmental Research [ICER-08], December 18-20, 2008, BITS – Pilani, Goa Campus, Goa.
- Amit Awasthi, Ravinder Agarwal, Prabhat Kumar Gupta, Nirankar Singh and Susheel Mittal, Effects on pulmonary functions due to rice-straw burning in Patiala, National Symposium on Instrumentation (NSI-33), December 8 – 10, 2008, AU College of Engineering, Visakhapatnam.
- Nirankar Singh, Susheel Mittal, Amit Awasthi, Ravinder Agarwal, Prabhat K. Gupta. Effect of crop residue burning on air borne suspended particulate matter concentration in Patiala. International symposium on Aerosol-Chemistry Climate Interactions, November 20-22 2008, PRL, Ahmadabad.
- Amit Awasthi, Nirankar Singh, Prabhat Gupta, Ravinder Agarwal and Susheel Mittal. Pulmonary functions study of a common person in Patiala due to crop residue burning of rice. 11th Punjab Science Congress, February7-9, 2008, Thapar University, Patiala.
- Nirankar Singh, Susheel Mittal, Amit Awasthi, Ravinder Agarwal, Prabhat K. Gupta. Air quality of Patiala during crop residue burning and non-crop residue burning months from September 2006 to November 2007, 11th Punjab Science Congress, February 7-9, 2008, TU, Patiala.
- Amit Awasthi, Ravinder Agarwal, Susheel Mittal, Shiv Raj Sahai, Khem Singh and Prabhat Gupta Patiala Prantke Aam Janta ke Swashak Perkriya per Prallike Dhuaan se Utpan Pradushanke Parbhav. Proceeding in National Symposium on Metrology & Quality Management, July 11-13, 2007, National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi.
- Amit Awasthi, Ravinder Agarwal, Susheel Mittal, Prabhat Gupta, Sumit Kumar and Amit Agarwal. Effects of Agriculture Crop Residue Burning On Respiratory System, Proceeding in Information Technology: Emerging Engineering Perspective & Practices, April 6 - 7, 2007, Thapar University, Patiala.
Projects or Ph.D.’s guided:
- Ms. Priti Sharma (Roll No:11177887)
Master Thesis Title: “Dispersion and transport of biomass burning pollutants” Completed 2019.
- Ms Pooja (Roll No: 11177834)
Master Thesis Title: “Crop Residue And Its Management” Completed 2019.
Indian Physics Association – Life Member (IPA)
Honours and Achievements:
- Received best Oral Presentation Award on Topic titled “Accuracy of Nanoparticles Size Distribution measured by the Engine Exhaust Particle Sizer Spectrometer” in 10th conference on Environmental Protection and Nanotechnology, May 17, 2013, NCTU, Taiwan.
- Tina Adler reported an article in Environmental Health Perspectives titled “Measuring the health effects of crop residue burning” by using one of the paper published in Science of Total Environment (408, 4440-4445, 2010). Reference: Volume 118(11), November 2010; a475-a475. doi:10.1289/ehp.118-a475.
- Received consolation prize for poster presentation in International Conference on Environmental Health and Technology, March 15-17, 2010, IIT Kanpur.
- Awarded JRF from 21st August, 2006 to 3rd June, 2010 in a DST sponsored project.
Personal interests: Badminton