Dr. Saurabh Mittal
B.Sc. (Hons.) in Geology, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
M.Sc. (Applied Geology), Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
M.Tech. (Earth & Env. Sciences), IIT Kharagpur
Ph.D. (Geophysics), IIT Kharagpur
Area of Specialization:
Environmental Modelling, Exploration, Neo-Tectonics, Machine Learning, Sub-surface Imaging, Electro-Magnetic Methods, Nuclear Geophysics, Remote Sensing and GIS
Research & Publications:
- Kumar, P., Garg, V., Mittal, S., Krishna Murthy, Y. V. N., (2021), GIS-based hazard and vulnerability assessment of a torrential watershed. Environ Dev Sustain. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-021-01476-z.
- Ganguly, S., Bhan, U., Rai, S.K., Mittal, S., Ahluwalia, R.S. and Verma, A., (2019), An experimental approach to estimate groundwater temperature from 18O fractionation. Groundwater for Sustainable Development, 9, p.100257.
- Ganguly, S., Rai, S.K., Mittal, S., Bhan, U., Ahluwalia, R.S. (2019), Estimation of ground water temperature from 18O fractionation - A deterministic analytical model, Groundwater for Sustainable Development, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gsd.2019.100234.
- S Mittal, AK Patidar, D Sengupta, SP Sharma, (2019), Low level radioactivity with electromagnetic data for prospecting of shallow sub-surface uranium mineralization, 1st Indian Near Surface Geophysics International Conference & Exhibition, organized by EAGE and AF Academy, 177- 186.
- A. K. Patidar, S. Mittal, D. M. Maurya, L.S. Chamyal (2019), Near Surface Investigation for Active Faulting using GPR, Kachchh, Western India: An Architype for Geo-Engineering Application, 1st Indian Near Surface Geophysics International Conference & Exhibition, organized by EAGE and AF Academy, 105- 112.
- Srivastava, H.C. and Mittal, S. (2018), Technological challenges and emerging solutions in Seismic Imaging of deeper sediments below Basalt, Himalayan Geology, Vol. 3 (2), 201 , pp. 242- 249.
- Rishabh, Harmeet Singh Kathuria, Ashish Aggarwal and Saurabh Mittal (2016), Application of Remote Sensing and GIS technique in rooftop mapping and PV module layout design, International Journal of Geomatics and Geosciences, vol. 7, (2), 159- 168.
- P. Sharma, S. Mittal, K.G. Mulemane and D.K. Gupta (2016), Well Sickness Diagnosis and Treatment Techniques, DEW Journal, Vol. 25, (03), pp. 47- 52.
- Vamsi Krishna Kudapa, S. Mittal and D.K.Gupta (2016), Simulation of Gas Flow from Shale Matrix using ANSYS FLUENT, International SHALE GAS & OIL Workshop, 28-29 January, Directorate of General Hydrocarbons, The Taj Mahal Hotel, New Delhi.
- S. Ganguly, S. Tiwari, U. Bhan, S. Mittal, S. Rai and EF Osta (2015), Melting of Sea Ice Inexplicable for Recent Global Eustatic Sea Level Rise, J Earth Sci Clim Change 6: 245. doi:10.4172/2157-7617.1000245
- S.P. Sharma, A. Biswas, S. Mittal (2014), Delineation of Extension of Uranium mineralization zone using Resistivity and VLF surveys around South Purulia Shear Zone, India, Journal of the Geological Society of India, Vol 84, Issue 6, 645-656
- S.Mittal, S.P. Sharma, A. Biswas and D. Sengupta (2014), Correlation of VLF-EM data with radiometric measurements: Implications for Uranium Exploration around Beldih, South Purulia Shear Zone, India, Int. J. Geophy., Vol 2014, Article ID 969462
- Sengupta, D., & Mittal, Saurabh (2013), Application of shallow subsurface geophysics in earth and environmental sciences: case studies from the Indian sub-continent, Proceedings of the eighteenth national symposium on solid state nuclear track detectors and their applications, Nuclear Track Society of India, Faridabad (India); 18-20 Oct 2013
- Sengupta D., Mittal S., Parial K. (2014) Radiometric Studies and Base Line Calibrations for NORM and TENORM Studies. In: Sengupta D. (eds) Recent Trends in Modelling of Environmental Contaminants. Springer, New Delhi
- S.Mittal, R. Guin, S.P. Sharma and D. Sengupta (2013), Estimation of 238U, 232Th and 40K Concentrations in Rock and Soil Samples Around South Purulia Shear Zone, India, International Journal of Low Radiation, Vol. 9, No. 2, 110-118
- A. Mandal, A. Biswas, S. Mittal, W. K. Mohanty, S. P. Sharma, D. Sengupta, J. Sen and A. K. Bhatt (2013), Geophysical anomalies associated with uranium mineralization from Beldih mine, South Purulia Shear Zone, India, Journal of the Geological Society of India, Vol 82, pp. 601-606
- P. Kaikkonen, S. P. Sharma and S. Mittal (2012), 3D modeling and inversion of VLF and VLF-R electromagnetic data, Geophysics, Volume 77, Issue 4, Near-surface EM
- S. Mittal, A. Mandal and A. Biswas (2010), Integrated Geophysical Approach for Prospecting of Uranium mineralization in South Purulia Shear Zone, Preliminary Findings, National Workshop on Advances in Exploration Geophysics for Young Researchers, SPG-NGRI (Poster Presentation, Awarded Best)
- S. Mittal, A. Biswas, S.P. Sharma and D. Sengupta (2012), VLF-EM and Radiometric studies around Beldih mine in South Purulia Shear Zone, India, IGU 49th Convention (Poster Presentation)
- S.Mittal, P. Maurya, D. Sengupta and S.P. Sharma (2012), Integrated Geophysical approach for the demarcation of Uranium mineralized zones between Beldih and Barabazar region in South Purulia Shear Zone, India, 2nd International Science Congress (Accepted for Oral Presentation)
- S. Mittal, S.P. Sharma and D. Sengupta (2013), Integrated Non-invasive Subsurface Imaging for Mineral Prospecting, Near-Surface Geophysics Workshop, CSIR-NGRI, Hyderabad (Poster Presentation)
- S. Mittal (2012), Subsurface Imaging of Solar System Objects like Moon and Mars, 13th PLANEX Workshop, NGRI, Hyderabad (Oral Presentation)
Projects or Ph.D.’s guided:
- Minor- Projects: (B.Tech. 3rd year students) 2- 3 groups per semester, each group comprising of 2-3 students from B.Tech. Applied Petroleum Engg., Geoscience Engg. and Geo-Informatics Engg.
- Projects include studies related to literature surveys and identifying the research gap and proposing problem statements, pertaining to different aspects of their subjects undertaken, like petroleum, sedimentary, GIS applications, geophysical methods, etc.
- Major- Projects: (B.Tech. 4th year students) 2- 3 groups per semester, each group comprising of 2-3 students from B.Tech. Applied Petroleum Engg., Geoscience Engg. and Geo-Informatics Engg.
- Projects include studies related to Earthquake prediction, Environmental studies, spatial- GIS based research, Basinal studies, Modelling of Reservoir, Seismic Attribute Analysis, etc.
Post- graduate students:
- M.Tech. Projects: upto 2 students per year from M.Tech. Petroleum Engg.
- Projects include studies related to Petrophysical properties, modelling of reservoir, seismic attribute analysis, Geophysical applications/explorations, etc.
- Three research scholars are enrolled of which two has Defended the work, and third is on-goin.
- Guiding three scholars, of which two as an Advisor and one as Co-Advisor.
||Name of Scholar
||Title of the Thesis
||Somenath Ganguly (under co-guidance)
||Successfully Defended (awarded in 2021)
||Estimation of Absolute Groundwater Temperature from Oxygen- 18 Fractionation
||Successfully Defended (awarded in November 2021)
||Hydrological Risk Assessment from and Within a Torrential Watershed
||Harish Chandra Srivastava
||On-going (expected to be submitted by March 2022)
||Sub Basalt Mesozoic Hydrocarbon Prospectivity in Western Offshore Basins of India
RISE (Research Initiative for Students of Engineering) Projects:
- Airify: Transforming waste to effectively reduce emissions: two students are working presently on an idea to use waste for purifying the air.
- Fully - funded by School of Engineering, UPES, Dehradun.
Honours and Achievements:
- Faculty Advisor for UPES Society for Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) Student Chapter [Summit Level].
- CUSP SEG Member.
- Faculty Advisor for First South Asian Geoscience Students Conference, 2015.
- Faculty Co-advisor for UPES AAPG Imperial Barrel Award 2015.
- Qualified Joint CSIR-UGC Test (NET) for LS (June 2012) with AIR-1
- Best Poster Presentation in National Workshop on Advances in Exploration Geophysics for Young Researchers, organized by Society of Petroleum Geophysics and NGRI (CSIR), Hyderabad, 2010
- AIR-67 in Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE-07).
- Worked as Teaching Assistant in Short Term Course in Remote Sensing & GIS organized by Centre for Promotion of Science, AMU, from November 12-19, 2006
- Qualified written examination of Combined Defence Services Examination, conducted by U.P.S.C. in year 2005
- Vice-President of Earth Science Study Circle, Deptt. of Geology & Geophysics, I.I.T. Kharagpur for the academic year 2007-2008
- Wing-Captain and Core team member of Silver prize winning Illumination team of V.S. Hall of Residence in the academic year 2007-2008
- NCC “B” and “C” certificate with “B” grade
- Head (initiated the participation of Hall) Illumination and Rangoli Core team of Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee Hall of Residence in the academic year 2009-2010
- Captain Inter-hall Badminton team of Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee Hall of Residence in the academic year 20011-2012
- Represented the Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee Hall of Residence in Gymkhana elections for the post of General Secretary Technology for the academic year 2010-2011